Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Haier Y II B tablet not detecting HDD storage

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fariha

Fariha

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hey there.

I have Haier Y IIB tablet cum PC, windows 8. the problem is that tablet is not detecting external HDD storage of 500gb which is provided with the keyboard. Keyboard is working ine, but external storage is not shown in disk management or windows, but its visible in control panel's devices and printers. I have a lot of my  thesis data on those drives. Help me detect it plzzzzz. 

PS. i have backup of my data but still needs to recover those drives

Edited by Fariha, 24 December 2017 - 12:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Have you tried attaching the external on all USB ports? Are other USB devices detected by the computer. i.e. flash drives.

With the external drive attached open a command prompt and type:

diskpart     Opens diskpart command window

list disk

Is your external drive listed? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 December 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#3 Fariha

Fariha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

Have you tried attaching the external on all USB ports? Are other USB devices detected by the computer. i.e. flash drives.

With the external drive attached open a command prompt and type:

diskpart     Opens diskpart command window
list disk

Is your external drive listed?

yeah I have tried in command prompt too, these drives are not enlisted there.

I can't change its port as it has only one port to attach with, 

and other USB drives are working fine.
m attaching pictures. kindly have a look at these

Attached Files

#4 Fariha

Fariha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:09 PM

I have tried memory diagnostic tool too. nothing detected by that tool too :(

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

The specs on the computer say it has 2 USB ports and one USB 3 port. The other ports on the computer are not functioning?

In disk management I see a 3.86GB disk 1 as not initialized. If you detach the USB external drive and open Disk Management is this 3.86GB drive still listed?

Edit: Is this external drive detected on other computers?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 December 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#6 Fariha

Fariha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

its external 500gb memory is with the keyboard. that can be attached only to that specified port i have shown in last picture.

strange thing is the sound of 12 to15 beeps when i attach HDD to tablet.

Attached Files

#7 Fariha

Fariha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

The specs on the computer say it has 2 USB ports and one USB 3 port. The other ports on the computer are not functioning?

In disk management I see a 3.86GB disk 1 as not initialized. If you detach the USB external drive and open Disk Management is this 3.86GB drive still listed?

Edit: Is this external drive detected on other computers?

I can't attach it to any other computer as it is PC-cum-tablet. and the HDD 500 gb memory i'm talking about is in keyboard that can be attached to  this specific point only.

Attached Files

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

In your last Disk Management image did you notice that Disk 1 is not longer listed? This was with the 500GB/keyboard drive detached, correct? If that is true then I think the drive has failed. A drive that shows up in Windows as not initialized usually indicates a drive failure. Also the drive shows as 3.86GB and not the full capacity.

See this thread. Also 3.86GB and not initialized.

If you can disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings you could try booting a live linux distro and see if it detects your external drive. If you cannot disable SecureBoot then the linux distro to use would be Fatdog64 which can boot with SecureBoot enabled on a Windows 8 computer. Otherwise if you can disable SecureBoot use Mint Cinnamon.

You can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Edit: Is it possible to pull the drive from the keyboard?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 December 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#9 Fariha

Fariha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

yeah in last picture, HDD was detached.  

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

Then I think the drive has failed or the connection to it. Can you pull the drive from the keyboard if Linux cannot access the drive?

#11 Fariha

Fariha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

In your last Disk Management image did you notice that Disk 1 is not longer listed? This was with the 500GB/keyboard drive detached, correct? If that is true then I think the drive has failed. A drive that shows up in Windows as not initialized usually indicates a drive failure. Also the drive shows as 3.86GB and not the full capacity.

See this thread. Also 3.86GB and not initialized.

If you can disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings you could try booting a live linux distro and see if it detects your external drive. If you cannot disable SecureBoot then the linux distro to use would be Fatdog64 which can boot with SecureBoot enabled on a Windows 8 computer. Otherwise if you can disable SecureBoot use Mint Cinnamon.

You can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Edit: Is it possible to pull the drive from the keyboard?

can you please tell me if i can recover my data saved on these drives? 

(plz plz plz say yes :( )

#12 Fariha

Fariha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

Then I think the drive has failed or the connection to it. Can you pull the drive from the keyboard if Linux cannot access the drive?

can't do it myself.. have to show it to some PC expert..

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

You say drives, is there more than one? If linux cannot detect the drive and recover the data you will need to consult a professional data recovery service and this is not cheap especially because the drive is located in the keyboard. Considering how important this data is to you, I would highly advise you consult the service first unless it's out of your budget range. Some services run $800 US and up. 

Linux needs to at least see the full capacity. If linux can detect the full capacity of the drive you might be able to recover the data. I would try Mint Cinnamon first. When booting Mint do not input anything until you are at the desktop. Click the Computer icon. Your HDD would be listed in the left pane. It will give the capacity in GB. Double click and if able to mount you would see your files. You could then copy and past to a USB external drive attached to one of the USB ports.

#14 Fariha

Fariha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

its 

You say drives, is there more than one? If linux cannot detect the drive and recover the data you will need to consult a professional data recovery service and this is not cheap especially because the drive is located in the keyboard. Considering how important this data is to you, I would highly advise you consult the service first unless it's out of your budget range. Some services run $800 US and up. 

Linux needs to at least see the full capacity. If linux can detect the full capacity of the drive you might be able to recover the data. I would try Mint Cinnamon first. When booting Mint do not input anything until you are at the desktop. Click the Computer icon. Your HDD would be listed in the left pane. It will give the capacity in GB. Double click and if able to mount you would see your files. You could then copy and past to a USB external drive attached to one of the USB ports.

i have partitioned it in three separate drives....

haven't tried using these boot options, frankly speaking idk if i can do these steps properly or not. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

Turning off SecureBoot will not affect your HDD booting. You should disable faststartup though. This prevents Linux from writing to the HDD if needed.

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

You could boot up Fatdog64. This distro can boot even if SecureBoot is enabled. Use Rufus with a spare flash drive. You may need to change the UEFI settings to allow USB device to boot before Windows. I'm assuming Windows on this tablet is embedded on some type of flash memory. It may not be possible with this tablet to allow USB flash drive to boot. 

But as I previously posted, if the data on the HDD is vitally important I would consult a professional service if possible. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users