Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building new computer. Any way to transfer OS from old one

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pooopoo

pooopoo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hey. I have a laptop that died on me and i'm looking to build a desktop pc. I've been looking online a bit but can't seem to find a specific answer. Is it possible to save a hundred bucks and somehow transfer windows 10 from my dead laptop's harddrive? It's one of those tiny ssd's, eSATA i think they're called. The drive is fine, and I'll get an adapter for it, but will i be able to get the OS onto the new computer's harddrive so i won't have to pay for windows again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

Not legally.

Unless the owner has wiped the original system hard drive...the Windows install and applicable license on an OEM (Dell, Lenovo, etc.) laptop is tied strictly to the system purchased and is not transferable to a new laptop or any desktop.

OEM Windows Licences Cannot Be Transferred.

Louis

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

Taken from comments, summarizes it well:

Not all EULA provisions are legally enforceable. The EULA itself acknowledges this fact. See you in court!

You could try this trick: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Not sure if it works but it's worth to try.

Practically make MS account on old machine, install to new computer fresh install and follow instructions.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 24 December 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

Sadly you will need a new license, but you dont necessarily have to spend a lot of money on it.

There are places where you can get a windows key for cheaper, I am not saying piracy mind you but there are places where you can get a windows 10 key for less then what microsoft wants.*

Getting a windows install disk is easier but you have to have a working computer for that.

*Mind you I am not going to link you to a place where you can get this as doing so is a real murky subject.

Gray markets are not illegal but linking to them I feel should be discouraged

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 December 2017 - 01:08 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Dartack

Dartack

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

If the drive works and you tied the license to your microsoft account you can try to put the old hard drive into the new laptop. That's worked for my desktop in the past but never tried it on a laptop.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

Legally, probably not.  The only Windows license you can transfer to a new machine is a retail license.  If you purchased the laptop and it came with Windows and you did not purchase a retail license to upgrade then you have an OEM license which is legally tied to the laptop.  If you purchased a retail license for an upgrade you can transfer the license, provided it is not installed on another machine.

Realistically, it is possible, but not legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users