Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 stuck on the windows loading screen.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TRiCKST3R

TRiCKST3R

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:50 PM

Hello everyone. I've have across few computer problems in the past but not like this one. I'm not too sure how to go about it. As the topic states, my computer doesn't go past the windows booting screen. Two days ago it got an update (not windows update) and restarted by itself. I woke up to my login page. I logged in and computer seemed fine until a few hours later it acted funny so I restarted it and now I'm stuck at windows booting screen.

I tried safe mode, and it freezes half way booting. I tried "repair your computer" option and nothing. Even the "start computer at last known good configuration".

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm assuming the update had something to do with it because before that it worked flawlessly. I did do a diagnostic check on the drives and they did come back with errors. If it is the hard drive, is it possible some how some way to back up my data? I have some files I would like to save. Can I take the drive somewhere to have the data extracted? I can reinstall windows it's just I don't want to lose my photos, family videos etc that I've stored on it. Any suggestions on maybe how to get it booted in safe mode at least to give me a chance?

Thank you guys sooooooooo much for any tips or advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:18 AM

If you need to save any Photos / Docs etc , from the Faulty Drive if its not to far gone , you can try downloading a Linux Distro { ISO } and burn it to a Disc and then boot from it.

Then you can explore the Drive and retrieve what you can.

I would remove the faulty hard drive and connect it to a working PC and boot into Linux from the Live CD you created from the ISO.

Then save files found  { Copy and Paste } to that Pcs Drive somewhere ? Create a Folder  and Name It.

I still use an old Knoppix Distro , but Mint or Puppy would also suffice.

Knoppix - http://knoppix.net/

Puppy  - http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:02 AM

What is your system make and model or is it home built from components?

Does the system have a working CD/DVD drive?

Do you have a genuine bootable Windows 7 installation CD that matches your currently installed version and Service Pack?

Two days ago you got an update but not a Windows Update?  

What kind of update was that?

Tell us what "acting funny" means in regards to the system behavior.

When you boot in Safe Mode and the system freezes what is the last thing you see on the screen?

You have another working PC so you can take the suspicious HDD our and install it in your other working PC, right?  Doesn't everybody?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 TRiCKST3R

TRiCKST3R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have an HP 64 bit pc 12gb of ram i7 processor.

I do have a genuine version of windows with installation discs and recovery discs.

The update that was done was an HP software update, the pc became sluggish as it will freeze for like half a second, and I couldn't access my other hard drive. So I restarted hoping that would fix it and now I'm stuck at the windows loading screen.

The last thing i see when I try to run safe mode is \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS\

I could borrow another pc from a friend and try to boot up windows from the hard drive to see if that's the problem but don't want to go that far if there is something that I can do before I go that route.

I heard reset bios or replace the battery on the Mother board? Steps?

Also I seen on another forum that if you have the installation discs that you can repair the bad file, this being Classpnp.sys? Can anyone confirm this? This step won't erase my hard drive right?

I was thinking about doing the following but not sure if it's possible. Buy a new HD install windows and have the HD with the things I want to save as a secondary drive? Then I would b able to access windows and hopefully my ex C drive? Then maybe I can save my stuff. It doesn't matter if my secondary drive also has windows right? I just gotta change that "thing" on the actual HD to have the pc acknowledge that it's no longer the primary drive?

Thanks again guys.

#5 TRiCKST3R

TRiCKST3R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:31 PM

I reset bios but that didn't seem to work... I I got no BSOD just windows not booting up I tired all possible options on the recovery menu n just gets stuck

Help? :(

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:03 AM

I would check the connections...and the functional status of each hard drive attached.

Louis

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:37 AM

The reason I wanted to know the last thing you see in Safe Mode is because sometimes the problem is not with the last thing you see (CLASSPNP.SYS) but what comes after it - and that will vary from system to system.  Sometimes the problem really is related to CLASSPNP.SYS.

How do you "check the functional status of each hard drive attached"?

If you perform some google searches like this:

You can read through many results that have lots of things to "try" but not very many work and some ideas are quite ridiculous (IMHO) and reinstalling Windows is never really a solution to any problem - to me that is giving up.

If the problem happened after an HP update and if you have a genuine bootable Windows 7 installation CD/DVD (if you don't have one, make one) and if you boot into the Windows Recovery Options you can see if you have a Restore Point created prior to this incident which may undo the changes made by the HP update - if their installer created a Restore Point prior to installing (doubtful) or chose the last one you have available:

From the Google results (and other searches like it) and reading through some of the similar topics in the HP community the system may really be hung up on CLASSPNP.SYS and may have something to do with your plug and play devices which could be keyboard, mouse, network or even the monitor (you can check if your monitor is a PnP device) and sometimes unplugging those devices temporarily will allow the system to get past the hang up.

Other solutions involve a BIOS adjustment which you can read about too.

I think I would go for the Restore Point option first.

Edited by joseibarra, 26 December 2017 - 06:41 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 TRiCKST3R

TRiCKST3R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

Joseibarra I am with u on that option. I have the windows recovery disc (1 of 3) and I pop it in and and it loads up windows... Then I get a windows screen with a movable cursor and a pop up pops up for a second and disappears, then it just stays like that, I can move the cursor but nothing happens just a blank screen :(

I can't get to that menu with the restore option.

I just don't want to lose my things on the HD. If I buy a HD and install it and make it my primary just so i can load up windows and have my now C: drive secondary, then I should b able to transfer my files from my old C: to my new C:? even tho windows is also installed on it? I'm thinking of doing this as last resort. :(

#9 bles16

bles16

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

What I suggest is to start in safe mode. anyway. the next thing is to start with a disvo either the same version and edition of the damaged system. for its restoration to a point where it worked.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:37 AM

I don't think you will be able to get to the System Restore option from recovery discs which is why I asked:

Do you have a genuine bootable Windows 7 installation CD that matches your currently installed version and Service Pack?

That is not the same as any recovery disks that came with your system or you might have made when you got your system.

You can boot on the Windows installation CD and from there 

So do you or do you not have a genuine bootable Windows 7 installation CD that matches your currently installed version and Service Pack?

I think most folks will agree that a good strategy for your personal files (photos, images, documents, etc,) is to have a second hard drive where you can keep backup copies so you could purchase another drive and copy those kinds of files to it but you are going to have to boot on something in order to do that - and that will still leave you with a non functioning system.

Havachat suggested a Linux Distro CD which you could create, boot on that access the files on the afflicted system and copy them to a safe place on a second drive - still leaving you with an afflicted Windows 7 installation.

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:06 AM

The more you play around with the current Hard Drive that may have isssues or it may not , the less chance you will have of recovering anything from it.

So STEP ONE - Get your stuff off it Now , as i posted earlier.

STEP TWO -  Use your Windows disc to do a Repair of System Files if they are Corrupt ?

STEP THREE - If that all fails , then just reinstall WIndows from your Legit Disc.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

If your connections to the hard drive are loose...or the drive itself has a problem...any efforts not directed to checking such are a total waste of effort/time.  Anyone...should be able to check the connections to a hard drive, nothing special required.  As for the drive itself...the hard drive manufacturers provide diagnostics which can be used.

Loui

#13 TRiCKST3R

TRiCKST3R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

UPDATE!

OK guys...so just when I lost hope....i turned on the computer and sure enough it stalled on the Windows Starting screen....to my amazement....about 7 Minutes into it Windows Started....So i was able to back up half of my data into SSDs

Everything Seems to work fine EXCEPT....Windows Doesn't detect my secondary Internal HD. I go to My Computer> only Shows C:\ and a Factory Image. When before I used to have another HD.

Any Help? I checked the connections inside the computer and everything is attached correctly. Power and the cable that goes to the MB. I would really like to get windows to recognize that drive as half of what i wanted to back up is on that drive. 

I'am thinking of taking it out and putting it another computer and try n back it up that way? But I do not unless i have to? 

Any suggestions? maybe new cable? or....?

Thank you!!

Attached Files

#14 TRiCKST3R

TRiCKST3R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:42 AM

I started a new topic because It seems like a have a different problem now.

If you like you can follow it here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667558/windows-7-cannot-access-secondary-hard-drive/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users