Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to Load Linus OS from DVD; Error Page or What?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:15 PM

This is what happened when I tried to boot up on the Peppermint 8 Linux. 

What does that mean?

Why doesn't the picture function work?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:29 AM

Did you download an Linux Distro / ISO and burn that Image to a Disc and then Boot from it after changing Bios to boot from cd/dvd.

Or did you just burn the ISO to disc , then that wont work.

#3 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

Did you download an Linux Distro / ISO and burn that Image to a Disc and then Boot from it after changing Bios to boot from cd/dvd.

Or did you just burn the ISO to disc , then that wont work.

I downloaded it, burned on to the DVD, changed the BIOS to boot from the DVD Drive.  

I would show you a pic of the readout that comes up on a black screen repeating virtually the same thing from top to bottom, but I can't figure out how to put up pictures on this forum.

#4 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

This is a link that can take you to that picture.  

https://www.screencast.com/t/NlgG4imnY

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hello,

It looks like the problem relates to graphics.

What are this computer's specs? If it currently has Windows installed, you can publish a Snapshot using Speccy.

To use Speccy:
Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left. Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

Just spotted your other topic. If this is the computer in question:

Windows XP was on it before; factory jobber from Dell.

..those 'specs' are sufficient. :)

Peppermint 18 comes with the Cinnamon desktop, which is too graphically intensive for older computers such as "factory jobbers from Dell" that were built for XP.

In the first instance I suggest trying a distro with a less graphically intensive desktop, such as the MATE or Xfce desktop.

For example:
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=248
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=214
https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/ 16.04.3

Edited by Al1000, 24 December 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

It's prefered if you start a Thread with the Specs of the pc, among other things.  The Exact and complete Model number is also helpful but not always 100%.

Things that are good to know along with the Model# I think are:

1. CPU

2. RAM

3. GRAPHICS CARD: This one is really important with Linux!

Edited by pcpunk, 24 December 2017 - 06:29 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

I believe Peppermint 8 desktop is a mixture of LXDE and Xfce and is very light weight or is on my old computers.

Did you update after installing Peppermint 8.

Peppermint in my experience installs and updates and works right OOTB on every computer I've installed it on.

Peppermint forums.

https://forum.peppermintos.com/

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

Thanks The-Toolman, my mistake, the mention of the Cinnamon desktop I read on their site related to the file manager used, and not the actual desktop.

In that case, F-1DeskLamp, it might be best to post the specs of the computer, to give us a better chance of recommending suitable distros.

Edited by Al1000, 24 December 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#10 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:50 PM

Hello,

It looks like the problem relates to graphics.

What are this computer's specs? If it currently has Windows installed, you can publish a Snapshot using Speccy.

To use Speccy:
Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left. Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

I can't do that since the computer is not bootable yet.  

Just spotted your other topic. If this is the computer in question:

Windows XP was on it before; factory jobber from Dell.

..those 'specs' are sufficient. :)

Peppermint 18 comes with the Cinnamon desktop, which is too graphically intensive for older computers such as "factory jobbers from Dell" that were built for XP.

In the first instance I suggest trying a distro with a less graphically intensive desktop, such as the MATE or Xfce desktop.

For example:
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=248
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=214
https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/ 16.04.3

Okay, I'll try sizing down.  

Can you tell me about these DVD+R's?  If I have the Cinnamon on there, can I remove it, and put something else on there?  Or is it a one time write? 

And what if there is more than just the OS on a boot up disc in the Disc Drive?  Is that a problem that will interfere with the bootup process?

It's prefered if you start a Thread with the Specs of the pc, among other things.  The Exact and complete Model number is also helpful but not always 100%.

Things that are good to know along with the Model# I think are:

1. CPU

2. RAM

3. GRAPHICS CARD: This one is really important with Linux!

I'm going to make that a habit.  Hehe

#11 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

I believe Peppermint 8 desktop is a mixture of LXDE and Xfce and is very light weight or is on my old computers.

Did you update after installing Peppermint 8.

Peppermint in my experience installs and updates and works right OOTB on every computer I've installed it on.

Peppermint forums.

https://forum.peppermintos.com/

It didn't install.  The problem was that it froze, and rendered a black screen with a bunch of redundant print on it.  

But now that I'm thinking about it, it may not be the OS.  It may be the computer itself.  

#12 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:53 PM

It's not something wrong with the OS in that case.  It is something wrong with the computer.  

I can get into BIOS, but I don't think that gives me all of the specs, or if it doesn, where in BIOS does it?  The last I remember I could not find the MOBO.  If you have an answer, I'd take it.  Otherwise I'll just job the #'s off of the mobo.  

#13 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:48 AM

1/ Yes the dvd+-R disc you used has to be a blank disk to start with to load Linux , they are write once disc`s until disc is closed { You can add data later if not closed } but in the case of Loading Linux from a Disc you want nothing else on the Disc.

2/ What was on the PC prior to you doing anything ? XP , Win7 , ?

3/ Yes you can take a cover off the case and see what is inside , Ram , Mobo No , etc.

4/ If you burned the ISO Image correctly to a Disc , and you are currently have no issues Posting here on another PC i assume, then try the disc in that PC and see if it boots from that and loads up , if it doesnt then you have an issue with the Image procedure burning / or ISO downloaded may have errors.

Being a Live Disc , it loads into the Memory to run , and will not harm a currently installed operating Sytstem on a HDD.

Edited by Havachat, 25 December 2017 - 01:52 AM.

#14 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:58 AM

1/ Yes the dvd+-R disc you used has to be a blank disk to start with to load Linux , they are write once disc`s until disc is closed { You can add data later if not closed } but in the case of Loading Linux from a Disc you want nothing else on the Disc.

2/ What was on the PC prior to you doing anything ? XP , Win7 , ?

3/ Yes you can take a cover off the case and see what is inside , Ram , Mobo No , etc.

4/ If you burned the ISO Image correctly to a Disc , and you are currently have no issues Posting here on another PC i assume, then try the disc in that PC and see if it boots from that and loads up , if it doesnt then you have an issue with the Image procedure burning / or ISO downloaded may have errors.

Being a Live Disc , it loads into the Memory to run , and will not harm a currently installed operating Sytstem on a HDD.

I was XP on there.

I'll get the other stuff, and check back in here.

The thing about the Peppermint OS is that it starts to boot up, and it gives some options like "test the memory," and do you want to boot up Peppermint OS, or do you want to try Peppermint Live?  What is "Live?"  I've seen the word thrown around like "Live USB" and related to a USB boot up etc.  

#15 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:29 AM

Dell Model #:  DCMF

Motherboard:  Foxconn G33M02

CPU:  Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33HGz

RAM:  2GB DDR2 SDRAM MEM SPEED 667MHz

GPU:  Nvidia Geforce 8300GS 128MB Pci-E Card

http://www.barebonekit.net/nvidia-geforce-8300gs-128mb-pci-e-card_i_vcnv8300gspciex.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users