Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible for me to recover my deleted browsing history?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 datarecoveryproject

datarecoveryproject

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

I have windows 11 and the deleted history was on chrome. How would I do this? I'm not very tech savvy. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

Windows 11 does not exist, do you mean 10 or something else? One of the crucial things will be how long ago the browser history you want to recover was deleted, the longer the time the less chance it will have survived. If it was recent there is a strong chance of the history remaining in certain temp files or backup files which browsers often make, if it was longer ago there might be a chance of deleted temp and backup fiels persisting on the hard-drive but they may have been overwritten. If recovering the history matters a lot to you I suggest turning off the computer in question immediately and not using it again until you have prepared the things you need for data recovery, every minute for which the computer is running is a minute during which it might accidentally write over sectors of the harddrive where data might be surviving.

It would also be helpful if you state a bit mroe about how you deleted the history, did you just clear the history for the past hour,day...forever or did it get lost as a result of some kind of file corruption, or are you trying to recoevr a history of what went on during a private browsing session?

Edited by rp88, 28 December 2017 - 11:49 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 datarecoveryproject

datarecoveryproject
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the response. Yes, it's windows 10. I wanted recent history from this laptop and long ago history from another laptop. For sentimental reasons. But I gather this likely won't be a real possibility.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

Recent history relatively plausible, but still a bit tricky, might need special tools. Older history, very little chance. For recent history the quickest easiest step is to look in C:\Users\$UserName$\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\ for .json and .bak files ($UserName$ should be replaced by your username)See what you find and look at them with a text edior (notepad or such), see if any seem to hold the msising history, if it does copy it to a folder in your documents to keep it from being overwritten in future, then you can take further steps to get it in a more convenient form.

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2018 - 02:46 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users