Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd/dvd Burner Won't Burn!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 carebear416

carebear416

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

I have an HP Pavillion zv5227wm notebook and about 2 weeks ago I tried to burn an audio CD and either I keep getting errors and it won't finish burning, or it will finish burning and it comes up blank when I try to play it back. It will read my programs and games on CD ROM but not DVD's.

I'm getting really frustrated with it seeing as how I've contacted HP online support about a dozen times and tried to get info from the web but to no avail...any help would be appreciated.

The drive is a TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R6252

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:46 AM

When you pull up "my computer" does the drive show as a cd-rw? If it does, right click, choose "properties", "recording", is the "enable cd recording on this drive" checked?
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 carebear416

carebear416
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:06 AM

Yes it does...I've done that, I've uninstalled and then reinstalled it, updated drivers and firmware (per hp online support instructions) and nothing seems to work and the techs from hp just keep telling me to do the same thing over and over again. The one even told me to reformat my hard drive and that's something I'm waiting out as a LAST resort. I just don't understand how it can work one day and not the next. It's not making any weird noised or anything, it just won't do what it's supposed to. I really don't want to go out and get a new one.

Edited by carebear416, 27 September 2006 - 01:08 AM.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:41 AM

I wouldn't think formatting would make any difference. I'm thinking the drive is going out.
Hopefully somebody smarter than me has a different answer.
Sorry, but that's all I can come up with...
Have you opened up the computer? Maybe knocked a connection loose? Did it ever work?

Edited by Wildabeast, 27 September 2006 - 02:39 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:58 AM

Try burning at a slower speed.

Do you have a DVD reader program?

Do you have the Windows XP installation disk or just the HP Restore disk?

#6 carebear416

carebear416
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:41 AM

I have not tried to open up the computer yet...have to get a smaller screwdriver. I'll have to try that. It was burning fine up until about 2-3 weeks ago. I haven't tried a DVD in it for awhile but found out that didn't work when the tech at hp told me to try it (honestly that didn't even cross my mind at the time).

I have InterVideo WinDVD and Muvee autoProducer DVD Edition. I do have the Windows XP Pro disc. I will try burning at a lower speed and see what happens...what speed would you suggest?

#7 carebear416

carebear416
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:15 PM

Well I tried burning at the lowest speed (1x) and it did not work. I received this error message:

The attempt to burn a disc failed. Unknown error occured (4450).

I got a small screwdriver so i could take it apart and see if there are any loose connections, but I'll have to wait until tonight until the little one goes to bed or it will be a bad thing :thumbsup:

If anyone has any other ideas let me know....thanks

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

Being that you have the Windows XP installation disk use the system file checker to make sure all Windows files are intact and in place.

Sfc /scannow

Start -> Run and type in
cmd

Then, in the black box that appears (DOS emulator), type

sfc /scannow

Make sure that you leave a space between the sfc and the /.

Windows will then check that all operating system files are in place and original.

#9 carebear416

carebear416
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:22 PM

Ok...I ran the sfc /scannow and I guess everything checked out because nothing happened after it finished running...I'm going to try to burn something and see if that worked...

#10 carebear416

carebear416
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:54 PM

Well I think I'm getting closer...

I tried to burn a cd (at 4x speed) and it actually completed it!!!
I looked in windows explorer and it showed there were tracks!!!
Get it to the car and ERR comes up and spits it out...it's never had a problem playing it before and I put songs on the cd that I have burned and played in the car before.

Also...my dvd's will now work also

So were just having problems playing the cd outside of the computer

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

Try a cd from a different batch.

Sometimes new cds can be defective even if they are a name brand.

#12 carebear416

carebear416
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:18 AM

I've always used the same cd's...they're the same brand from the last time it actually burned something right...I'll give it a try though, I'll have to go buy something different tomorrow...any recommendations???

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:43 AM

Any major brand. Even one from another batch of the same brand.

Sometimes a batch can be defective or problematic in particular burners. Sometimes it's even true of different ones on the same spindle.

You can also try rolling back the driver you updated since the last one did work and scannow seems to have resolved the problem.
The newest drivers are not always the best drivers.

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 September 2006 - 06:45 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:46 AM

You may want to try this free CD/DVD burner. It doesn't install on your system, so you can run it without messing up your settings. http://www.silentnight2004.com/microburner.html

If this burns 'em without a problem - then most likely the problem is with your burning software. An uninstall and reinstall may fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 carebear416

carebear416
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

That burning program worked!!! :thumbsup: So there's a problem with both the iTunes and the RecordNow programs. I've uninstalled and reinstalled them both and they are still not working. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users