Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Button / Cortana Not Working After Unplugging HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 d2produce

d2produce

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:52 PM

So my pc was shutting down, and I unplugged an External Hard drive.  When it restarted, the Start Button and Cortana didn't work. So I restarted and I got a message saying "Task Host Window microsoft\windows\plug and play\device install reboot required" is still running. 

So I didn't think anything of it the first few times, and actually I've already reinstalled windows because I couldn't figure it out the first time. But now it seems that Somehow a Driver for Plug and Play must have been corrupted when I unplugged that Hard Drive while I was shutting down.

Also I noticed, the Start Button and Cortana only don't work if I have my External Hard Drive plugged in during the reboot.  If I unplug it and restart, everything works fine and then I can plug it in once started.  But of course I wouldn't want to always have to do that.

So what is causing this and how do I get it back to be able to restart while my hard drive is plugged in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:40 PM

Since you reinstalled Windows since the HDD incident, I doubt that a PnP driver is corrupted.

You may have damaged the drive when unplugging it during power-down.

Test the drive with SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-diagnostics-ssd-test.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 d2produce

d2produce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

The "hdd" that I unplugged during shutdown was actually a set of 3x HDD"s in a HDD enclosure and the hard drive that is giving me problems is one that is just always plugged in through USB 3.0 port.  I plan on replacing it with a 8TB internal though so I might just try that first and see if that works. 

Could I test the hard drive with HDTune Pro? Really don't want to have to burn a CD if i don't need to.

#4 d2produce

d2produce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

Actually I reinstalled the first time I had this problem and it was probably for the same reason.....shutting down my HDD Enclosure while the computer was shutting down.

Then I did it again AFTER reinstalling and I'm stuck with the same problem.  That's why I thought it was a PnP situation because of the Error I get when restarting "Task Host Window microsoft\windows\plug and play\device install reboot required"

Coupled with the fact that it's only when my USB 3.0 External Hard Drive is plugged in during startup that I get the error I thought it might be PnP issue

This all started because I can't start my computer with my 2x HDD Enclosures which hold 3x HDD"s each can't be plugged in when I start my pc or the darn thing won't even boot.  That's another issue I'd like to find a solution for... being able to start my comptuer with all my harddrives plugged in (2x internal 6x external)

Edited by d2produce, 24 December 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#5 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

This may be way off, but have you checked the boot devices listed in the BIOS?  Your system might be trying to boot to one of the external drives for some reason.

I had an 8T WD external drive that would make my PC behave the same way; all it had on it were data files, no OS at all, but my system would just hang unless that drive was disconnected.

Once I booted into Windows, I could reattach the drive and everything was fine.

Just an idea.

#6 d2produce

d2produce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

This may be way off, but have you checked the boot devices listed in the BIOS?  Your system might be trying to boot to one of the external drives for some reason.

I had an 8T WD external drive that would make my PC behave the same way; all it had on it were data files, no OS at all, but my system would just hang unless that drive was disconnected.

Once I booted into Windows, I could reattach the drive and everything was fine.

Just an idea.

I changed it to Hard Drive because it was still on USB from when I installed Windows, but when it started the Plug and Play process is still making the Start Menu hang. Something was damaged while I was shutting down and I unplugged my hard drive and I wish I knew how to uninstall and reinstall that part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users