Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Do the Jumper Pins & Clear the CMOS?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

I'm fixing up all ol' doober, cleaning out, adding Peppermint 8 Linux etc.  

Should I do the jumper pin thing, and clear the CMOS in order to get the BIOS back to original default before i install the new OS?  

Windows XP was on it before; factory jobber from Dell.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

I've never found the need to clear the CMOS. I think that's more for when the BIOS is corrupted in some way.

I have a Dell too and I will occasionally reset BIOS defaults using the function buttons, although I probably don't need to.

#3 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:03 PM

It just seems like an extra precautionary move that costs a few seconds before I give it to someone

How do I update the bios?  

#4 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

I can't see clearing the CMOS doing any harm, and like you said it only takes a few seconds.

However, I'd be reluctant to flash (update) the BIOS if there's nothing wrong with it. I only did it once, thinking it was a necessary upgrade, and luckily it all went well.

But afterwards I started reading all the horror stories about failed upgrades and decided that it would be my first and last time flashing the BIOS. Now I'd only do it if the system requires it to function.

#5 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:32 PM

I'm loading Peppermint 8 Linux onto it, and it asks if I want to test the memory, so I thought why not.  It is taking a long time to complete.  

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

I'm loading Peppermint 8 Linux onto it, and it asks if I want to test the memory, so I thought why not.  It is taking a long time to complete.  

You can always stop the memory test at any time. :)

As noted in your other Topic, you may want to simply replace the CR2032 battery, twin pack of the Energizer brand available at Walmart for $5 on one of the battery stands near checkout lanes. It's best to keep a spare handy, the unused one will last a few years stored. This alone will reset the CMOS w/out needing to bother with jumper pins. 

It's not uncommon for these batteries to show age after 7-8 years of normal usage, some gets lucky & makes it past the 10-12 year mark, may be dependent on brand of battery. Most OEM's installs the lowest cost one possible, have never received a computer of any type with a known major battery brand installed. 

When these low cost batteries begins to fail, if the computer is in use, the most common sign being the time & settings not holding between reboots, especially when unplugged for any length of time. Being it's likely close to a decade old (if not already replaced), it's time to do so. It'll save a lot of troubleshooting steps, once it's losing life, it'll seem like problems at every reboot. Even printers has a CMOS battery installed, seen one in my last model of the same type & retrieved, was in a pinch & reused in a PC that belonged to someone else (she wanted to hold down costs & battery was around 3 years old). Otherwise these also wouldn't hold settings when moved from one place to another when unplugged. 

Today, I keep no less than an unopened 4 pack on hand, as I work on computers of others, if more than 5 years old, will replace to avoid issues later, an extra I perform for most of my customers at no added charge. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

@Cat:-

I agree about the use of good quality CR2032s. It's true that most OEMs will go for the cheapest possible, but I think I struck lucky with the old Compaq desktop.

I got it from my sister 4 years ago. At that time it was already just on 8 years old, although I know for a fact it was all in original condition. I replaced the CMOS battery as a precaution.....but you need to remember, this thing was one of the last produced by Compaq themselves before HP bought them out.

It shows in the build quality. HP have always been cheapskates (at that time, more so than usual) and would have used the cheapest batteries they could find. I know it hadn't had a thing done to it since new; the battery was on its 'last legs', it's true.....but it was a good quality Panasonic coin battery.

Which speaks volumes about Compaq's attitude towards their user-base. I've replaced with Energizer, as you've done, since their batteries have a pretty good rep for longevity these days.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users