Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crash with no BSOD, sound continues, RAM causes beeping?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rodco

rodco

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

First, my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rodco/saved/#view=38tNNG

And, my speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sqERZGHd0KhMDqFaMcm2HaG

Thanks for reading. I recently built my first computer after my old one met a slow death several months ago. Everything worked flawlessly for several days, until once while playing a video game, the screen suddenly froze. The sound from the game kept playing. There was no BSOD, I had to manually restart it. These crashes are random but now happening more frequently, sometimes hours after I start the computer, sometimes within fifteen minutes. One interesting characteristic of them is that if a video is playing, the sound will obviously stop because the video stops, but if a program like a video game is playing, whatever music track was playing will continue (such as the background music in Total War: Warhammer - frequently running during my crashes). Additionally, sometimes when restarting, the computer will beep three times, and shut down after a brief delay before restarting itself again. This is an alert regarding the RAM, correct?

I've looked around a little bit and while the most likely culprit is some issue with the RAM, I've seen some comments that make me think it could possibly be the PSU or video card as well. I'm about to run memtests, but wanted to post this first so that if anyone were willing, they could offer some assistance and/or suggestions. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rodco

rodco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

UPDATE: Ran my first memory diagnostic, and no problems were detected. Considering running an extended test overnight, however. Should I just move my RAM sticks around and see if the problem persists? Since they're dual-channeled, isn't it significant which slots they're installed in?

#3 Crappy

Crappy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

UPDATE: Ran my first memory diagnostic, and no problems were detected. Considering running an extended test overnight, however. Should I just move my RAM sticks around and see if the problem persists? Since they're dual-channeled, isn't it significant which slots they're installed in?

Hmm. You are correct, Three beeps means it's a RAM error.

From 'https://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/ASROCK-AB350M-PRO4'  'Basic memory 64K address check error'

I'd suggest taking one RAM Card out, if all boots O.K and runs for a while, then it might be a problem with the other RAM Card.

Do the same for the other card. If it fails then you might have to buy another one, if it runs fine then I am at a loss.

From http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/amiB3-c.html:

Explanation: There is a failure of some sort within the first 64 KB of system memory.

Diagnosis: The first bank of memory probably has a bad memory chip in it somewhere. It is possible that there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.

Sorry I couldn't provide much in the case of help, i'm sure there are more knowledgeable people who will come along and help :-)

Edited by Crappy, 23 December 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#4 rodco

rodco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

From 'https://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/ASROCK-AB350M-PRO4' website it is a 'Basic memory 64K address check error'

I'd suggest taking one RAM Card out, if all boots O.K and runs for a while, then it might be a problem with the other RAM Card.

Do the same for the other card. If it fails then you might have to buy another one, if it runs fine then I am at a loss.

From PcGuide.com:

Explanation: There is a failure of some sort within the first 64 KB of system memory.

Diagnosis: The first bank of memory probably has a bad memory chip in it somewhere. It is possible that there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.

Sorry I couldn't provide much in the case of help, i'm sure there are more knowledgeable people who will come along and help :-)

Thanks, I'll try this. If one or both sticks are bad, the only solution is to replace it, correct?

#5 Crappy

Crappy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

From 'https://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/ASROCK-AB350M-PRO4' website it is a 'Basic memory 64K address check error'

From PcGuide.com:

Thanks, I'll try this. If one or both sticks are bad, the only solution is to replace it, correct?

It depends how bad the damage is, if it's just a bit dirty then you can clean it, if it's just a few scratches you can try to lightly buff them out. If it's showing deep scratches then yes you would have to replace the damaged stick. You don't have to replace the other one if it is working ok, only replace if they have damage to them.

Edited by Crappy, 23 December 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#6 Crappy

Crappy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:21 PM

Looking at your speccy post It also doesn't look like your motherboard is seeing the RAM

(RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1463MHz (16-17-17-35)

Have you enabled XMP in the BIOS?

Edited by Crappy, 23 December 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#7 rodco

rodco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:28 PM

Looking at your speccy post It also doesn't look like your motherboard is seeing the RAM

(RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1463MHz (16-17-17-35)

Have you enabled XMP in the BIOS?

Yes, I enabled it (it was running at lower MHz before I did).

#8 rodco

rodco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

UPDATE: I tried the windows memory diagnostics tool again, but this time with the extended tests. The test froze for a long time at 21% of the first test. It read: Test pass 1 of 3: 21% complete. Overall test status: 7% complete.

Frustrated, I hit f10 to review the options then backed out, to find the test progress bar the same, but the text now read: test pass _ of _: _% complete
Overall test status: _% complete.

I esc'd out of the diagnostic and ran it again with two passes and went to sleep after it, too, stalled at 21% completion of the first test pass. When I woke up, the tower was on, but sending no signal to the monitor. I shut it down and took out the ram, trying them in different slots before setting one stick in slot A1. As of last night, the three beep and then reboot became more frequent, happening several times before the pc would successfully start. Now it's become regular: four instances of the three beep then reboot, then one instance of a one beep and reboot, then it starts normally. With one stick in A1, there was no beeping at all, only a normal start. So, I decided to run windows memory diagnostic tool on the one stick (two passes extended) and again it's stopped at 21% completion of the first test pass. Anyone have any advice?

#9 rodco

rodco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

Additional info: I changed my vram settings days before these issues started following this guide: https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory.aspx

Not sure if that could be contributing.

#10 rodco

rodco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

Well, after a whole day of the memory diagnostic sitting at 21 percent, I turned the computer off and back on. Booted fine but after a few seconds on the desktop the monitor went blank and reported no signal. Restarted, got five high pitched beeps which apparently translate to a CPU error. Merry Christmas everybody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users