Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie to VM new questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldishgal

oldishgal

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

I am running Windows 7 host and Windows 10 guest with Virtual Box and in Windows 10 I am having trouble navigating due to being a newbie to a VM and a newbie to Win 10 and.... somewhat technically challenged. 

Questions and troubles:

1.  Should I be able to cut and paste something from Win 7 into Win 10 and vis versa?  I can cut and paste in each program but I cannot cut from W7 and paste into W10. 

2.  I have a DVD drive as "E" on my desktop.  When I am in Windows 10 on the VM how do I access the Drive "E" and get access to files that are on disk?  Sorry, I am new to this stuff.

3.  I have read about "sharing folders" in Virtual Box but it is totally "over my head".  Can anyone dumb it down to me?

4.  If I have a program "exe" file on a disk, should I have any trouble installing it on the VM Windows 10? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

1. Some programs, like VMware, do this automatically. With VirtualBox, you need to configure this. https://www.liberiangeek.net/2013/09/copy-paste-virtualbox-host-guest-machines/

2. In the VM configuration, you would need to mount the DVD drive on your host to your virtual machine. Depending on your VM program, you may have to reboot the VM for this to take effect. You can name the drive whatever you like in the guest OS.

3. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/SharedFolders

4. See answer to #2. You would need to mount that disk to the VM guest first; it should run like any other .exe file.

#3 oldishgal

oldishgal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

1.  I already had the settings enabled in VM and can copy but not paste in either Win 7 or Win10.  Cannot drag/drop either.

2.  Figured out the DVD drive in VM - it was mounted just didnt know how to access it.

3.  Will look at site provided when have more time. 

4.   I can see my .exe file on my disk - but can't get it to run/install into the VM.  

I am frustrated at this point and need to walk away from this for a few days. 

Thanks for your reply. 

#4 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

For #4, you will need to mount the DVD drive and then insert the disk you are wanting to run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users