Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrieving files from a failing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 REIDS

REIDS

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

I have a computer that is approximately 5 years old +/- (I bought an HP tower system when they were still selling computers with Windows 7). I have 3 hard drives connected to it. The main hard drive is having issues booting up. I need to copy all of my music files, financial files, and Microsoft Outlook pst file that contains all of my contacts and emails, from the main (c:\) drive to one of the extra drives.

See the following post that I started under the Windows Crashes... Forum: Stop Code: BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO (sorry, for some reason I couldn't paste the link into this post).

I'm currently running Windows 10 (I upgraded from the windows 7 OS that I bought the computer with to the free version of Windows 10 that they were offering) on an HP Pavilion HPE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

You can go about pulling the data in one of two ways. 

Pull the drive and attach it to another computer using a USB adapter to pull the data. If the recovery computer has USB 3 ports then consider a USB 3.0 adapter

otherwise a USB 2 will also work.

Boot a live linux distro like Parted Magic and copy the data to a USB external drive using the below guide. Burn the iso to a CD on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting burn disk image. Because this is a Windows 10 disk with most likely has fast startup enabled Parted Magic will mount the drive as read only. Note before you start the copy operation with Parted Magic you can click Disk Health on the desktop and look under the Attributes tab for any red rows. If the drive icon itself is red I would recommend consulting a professional data recovery service depending on how important your data is but this is not inexpensive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=litten+parted+magic&btnI

I would start with the most important data first as the process of reading the drive could result in a complete failure. Don't run chkdisk on the drive. If you have a empty drive with the same or larger capacity you could do a sector by sector clone and then work on the cloned image and not the failing drive. The process of cloning the drive could cause the drive to fail.

If Parted Magic does not boot then use Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD. Do no input anything until you are at the Mint desktop. Click Computer on the desktop. Your HDD will be shown in the lower left pane. Clicking on it will mount the drive and a file manager window should open showing your files. Attach a USB external drive. A USB icon will appear in the left pane. Click on it. You can then copy, not move, and paste your files into the USB file manager window.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

#3 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:41 PM

Well, I bought a new computer shortly after receiving the last post and was able to retrieve all of my files off of the previous hard drive from using a USB conversion cord from Best Buy.

Everything seems to be working fine now. Thank you for your help. Sorry it took me so long to post.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

No problem, thanks for taking the time to post the update and glad you got your data back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users