Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Freezes, Computer Beeps, Unable to do any action except shut down

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ClickityClick

ClickityClick

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

I've been experience some problems with my computer recently where usually when I'm playing a video game, even simple video games like Terraria, I will usually hear my physical computer beep three times, the screen will freeze, and I won't be able to do anything else. This will occur at random moments in the game, no specific action triggers it. I read that it might have something to do with playing in fullscreen mode, so I started playing games in fullscreen windowed but the problem still persists. I have a three year old Alienware Desktop computer, so the games that I am playing shouldn't be something that my system can't handle. I have the minidumps available, but am unable to upload them, so if you would like them just ask! Thanks for the help in advance!

Attached Files

Edited by ClickityClick, 23 December 2017 - 12:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

We need more information about your system than what you've provided. Hence, please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? If it's three years old there should be a decent amount of dust inside the case, which could be related to the freezes (overheating). Get yourself some compressed air (cheap at Walmart, though other places sell them too) and blow out as much dust as possible.

While waiting for a response to your log files, please run these hardware diagnostics. You'll want to run them all, and monitor your temps with one of the tools listed on the page.

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 ClickityClick

ClickityClick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it! Here is the link to the speccy results: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/47bBJSXKWpMZB5h7fJ234BF I also recently cleaned my computer and opening it up now shows no obvious hair or dust clumps lying around. I could not find the attach button in this reply section so I edited my original post to attach my Sysnative BSOD dumps. 

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

26 dumps files in the uploaded reports, ranging from July to today. Nearly all of them are STOP 0x00000119: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERRORs, flagging your graphics driver, but the latest one, a 0x9F, blames vmnetadapter.sys, a VMWare driver, so please uninstall VMWare.

Please reinstall your graphics driver, using the installation file from DELL's site http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=54R7X If possible, avoid all 3D drivers and check the "Clean Install" box. (Doesn't matter if it's an older version than the one you have now.)

There is a newer BIOS version for your motherboard  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=FTN7Y To rule out compatibility issues, please install it. (PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK that I am seeing things right, that this update is truly applicable to your motherboard.)

You have 421 hotfixes installed; that's great — please check for any more applicable Windows Updates (to rule out the minute chance of an OS bug).

If you still run into BSODs, it would be nice if you could put your graphics card on another slot (if you're still under warranty disregard this as it may void it).

I also recently cleaned my computer and opening it up now shows no obvious hair or dust clumps lying around

When you were doing this, did you make sure your graphics card was completely free of dust too? :)

Apart from that, run the hardware diagnostics I asked for in my previous post, and we'll move on from there. :wink:

Regards,
bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 ClickityClick

ClickityClick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

I installed the BIOS update and reinstalled the graphics drivers, and am working on running the other hardware tests, I currently do not have a USB on hand so I will have to wait a little to test my RAM. In the update I lost the ability to hear audio, is it ok if I update my graphic drivers back to the current version?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

Let's try fixing your audio problem first. I suspect the update changed your default speaker device. Right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar icon and select Playback Devices. Right-click on your preferred device and select Set as default device and disable any other devices (especially HDMI related ones). Click OK, does that help?

I currently do not have a USB on hand so I will have to wait a little to test my RAM.

If you have a CD that should work too. :wink:

#7 ClickityClick

ClickityClick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

Well I feel really stupid now haha. Thanks for the advice, I will use a CD and try that out now! 

#8 ClickityClick

ClickityClick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

So I've tried entering Bios before and I had this exact same problem. I press the key to enter me into Bios and then nothing happens. My monitor just shows a black screen with no errors or output. Do you have discord or an alternative method to contact you more directly?

When I force shut down from the supposed "BIOS", I've found that I have to hold the power button for a very short period of time before it shuts off as opposed to when my system freezes, hopefully this might be of use.

Edited by ClickityClick, 23 December 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

Do you have discord or an alternative method to contact you more directly?

Sorry but this isn't allowed by our forum rules:

All help must be provided in the forums or on our IRC Chat channel. We do not allow support to be provided or requested via personal message, email, or remote desktop control programs (Logmein, TeamViewer, etc).

So I've tried entering Bios before and I had this exact same problem. I press the key to enter me into Bios and then nothing happens. My monitor just shows a black screen with no errors or output

Was this happening before the update?

#10 ClickityClick

ClickityClick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

Understood, yeah being unable to enter Bios was a problem before the update, when I tried to run memtest86 in the past, I've also noticed that the Alienware startup logo hasn't been popping up either, the screen remains black until the login screen pops up

Pressing my enter BIOS key during startup, just causes my screen to remain black, and for nothing to show up even after leaving the computer for a duration of time, I've read online that it might have something to do with having multiple GPUs/GPUs going bad?

Edited by ClickityClick, 24 December 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Never heard of this before. If you reseat your CMOS battery will that help? I too wonder whether if it's the graphics card's fault, perhaps it's not supported in your BIOS? (This shouldn't be the case though.) Has your computer been like that since day one? Can you try another monitor?

Edited by bwv848, 25 December 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#12 ClickityClick

ClickityClick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

So I reset the jumpers on my CMOS, and now my computer will powers its LEDs, fans, etc. In addition to all my peripherals as I can tell since they light up, but now no output displays on my screen at all regardless of whether or not I'm trying to enter BIOS

I just tried using a different HD I cable, and it still has no video output, I've also tried plugging into my second graphics card for both but nothing happened

Edited by ClickityClick, 25 December 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

So I reset the jumpers on my CMOS, and now my computer will powers its LEDs, fans, etc. In addition to all my peripherals as I can tell since they light up, but now no output displays on my screen at all regardless of whether or not I'm trying to enter BIOS

You mean before that, your computer wouldn't turn on? (That can't be the case as you ran the SFCA.) I'm not understanding what you're saying,

#14 ClickityClick

ClickityClick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Sorry about the confusion, what I'm trying to say is that before I reset the jumpers my computer would display output to a monitor if I didn't press the Bios key, but now that I reset the jumpers there is no output at all

---------

So I was able to fix the visual problem and boot into BIOS and am currently running the memtest right now. I'll tell you what I did to fix it in hopes that you can learn what the problem was. So I have two graphics cards so I tried plugging my HDMI cable into my other graphics card which didn't work, so then I got a different HDMI cable and tried it in both the HDMI ports which again didn't work. I then tried to plug that HDMI cable into a different monitor and in the two different ports again which didn't work. So then I had a DVI cable which I then plugged into my lower graphics card which I normally plug into which didn't work, but when I plugged into the top, I got CMOS Failed!, which I assume may be from resetting the jumpers?, so I then tried booting into Windows only for it to tell me that there was an error when trying to start Windows, so I chose the option to repair, which apparently worked as Windows launched with the Alienware logo and login screen. I then restarted with a HDMI cable plugged into my top graphics card, but either of my graphics cards displays output to the monitor.

Messing around a little more, I found that plugging into my lower GPU and starting up, there is no Alienware logo and Windows logo, but it still gets to the login screen, but with my top GPU the logos appear, which is surprising since I've been plugging into my lower GPU the whole time. 

Edited by ClickityClick, 25 December 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

Glad to hear that!

And the results?

So I was able to fix the visual problem and boot into BIOS and am currently running the memtest right now. I

And the other diagnostics?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users