Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell... :-)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

"...It was as easy as going to the control panel and zapping it..."  -- LeeF.  If you meant the CP's adding/removing programs, that uninstall probably left residuals.  Consider using McAfee's removal tool, let us know if residuals did remain and are removed by that tool, thanks!  I want to learn from your experience.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

RolandJS,

That was the exact same link that was provided in an earlier post on this thread. All that link did was send me to some instructions that told me to go to my control panel and uninstall...

That link is NOT an uninstall tool; it is merely written instructions that tell you to go to your control panel. 

:smilers:

I wish you a Happy Holidays.... 

#18 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

LeeF, sorry, I did not know about that link  :(

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#19 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

LeeF, sorry, I did not know about that link  :(

No worries...

You've just given me an excuse to use this way cool emoticon...  :horse:

Edited by LeeFitzsimmons, 25 December 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#20 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

Problem is you did not fully read the link, it instructs you to activate McAfee if pre installed.  Then go into add and remove programs, if it deletes properly then use the removal tool"MCPR".  The first time I removed it I did it the same way you did, it caused issue with my new AV.  I had to down load McAfee activate then do it right, good chance you will have issues.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#21 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

OldPhil,

It's been a while since I have uninstalled McAfee with just the uninstall function on the computer's control panel. So far, no problems at all.

Hopefully, posting this thread won't jinx it...

:smash:

#22 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:24 PM

Anyone who wants a Dell, fine for them.  Some retailers offer some amazing purchase cost savings, the machine will probably work very well, past-read information as recalled is that very very little junk software will be preinstalled if any.  The one disadvantage from my point of view is smooth technical support is missing.  Communication with technical support is inefficient, and any user forum is poorly designed.  You want a user guide or manual for your computer?  Forget that!  NONE!

Still, the one machine with which I have experience using is very good or better.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 February 2018 - 09:52 PM.
Fix spelling. ~ OB

#23 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hey LeeFrizsimmons,

You didn't get hurt on what you bought and imo Dell prebuilt computers are the best.

I've never bought a new prebuilt computer as I've always built my own although these days I use everyone elses old discarded computers and most of them are Dell computers.

Yes eight and ten year old Dell Optiplex desktop computers and all are still working 100% strong and keep on working so they last.

Use it and enjoy it.

Happy Holidays. :santa:

Couldn't agree more, The_Toolman.

Dells have always been favourites of mine.....and they last, too. I've got an ancient Inspiron 1100 lappie (see specs in my siggy), chugging along with an old Pentium 4 single-core. 

She may be ancient, but she just keeps going.....and going (and going....). Built like a brick outhouse, too (weighs nearly 4 kgs (that's around 8.8 lbs for our American cousins).....although to be fair, most of that can be accounted for by the massive 19.2 volt, 16-cell battery. They used to install full desktop CPUs in these things, along with the attendent power consumption (67W TDP from the 2.6 GHz P4..!)

None of this 'bendy' iPhone stuff you get these days.....

We've been a lot of places together, too; this was the kinda thing those laptop 'backpacks' were invented for. (You'd end up with 'gorilla arm' carrying it around in your hand, unlike MacBook 'Air's, and that kind of thing (which are as light as a feather in comparison!))

I'd agree with Madman, though; 'Linux' is a very useful word to remember. This old girl used to run XP originally, with 128 MB of RAM and a tiny 20GB HDD..! (Ran like the proverbial slug, as I recall.) I struggled on with it till EOL in '14, then looked around for something really lightweight for it, 'cos it wasn't going to run Win7, now was it?

After some 'distro-hopping', I ended up with 'Puppy' Linux, which runs completely in RAM.....her feet don't touch the ground now! She flies with Puppy, and after quite a bit of upgrading (now 2GB RAM and a 64GB SSD) would give many pre-loaded Win7 machines, with much newer hardware, a run for their money.....

Enjoy your Dell, and have fun with it.

-------------------------------

According to cafejose,

You want a user guide or manual for your computer?  Forget that!  NONE!

I've never had problems finding user manuals for pretty much anything online. They're out there; ya just gotta dig a little.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 February 2018 - 09:53 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

1dHskd8.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users