Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell... :-)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

"...It was as easy as going to the control panel and zapping it..."  -- LeeF.  If you meant the CP's adding/removing programs, that uninstall probably left residuals.  Consider using McAfee's removal tool, let us know if residuals did remain and are removed by that tool, thanks!  I want to learn from your experience.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

RolandJS,

That was the exact same link that was provided in an earlier post on this thread. All that link did was send me to some instructions that told me to go to my control panel and uninstall...

That link is NOT an uninstall tool; it is merely written instructions that tell you to go to your control panel. 

:smilers:

I wish you a Happy Holidays.... 

#18 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

LeeF, sorry, I did not know about that link  :(

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#19 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

LeeF, sorry, I did not know about that link  :(

No worries...

You've just given me an excuse to use this way cool emoticon...  :horse:

Edited by LeeFitzsimmons, 25 December 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#20 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

Problem is you did not fully read the link, it instructs you to activate McAfee if pre installed.  Then go into add and remove programs, if it deletes properly then use the removal tool"MCPR".  The first time I removed it I did it the same way you did, it caused issue with my new AV.  I had to down load McAfee activate then do it right, good chance you will have issues.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#21 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

OldPhil,

It's been a while since I have uninstalled McAfee with just the uninstall function on the computer's control panel. So far, no problems at all.

Hopefully, posting this thread won't jinx it...

:smash:

#22 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:24 PM

Anyone who wants a Dell, fine for them.  Some retailers offer some amazing purchase cost savings, the machine will probably work very well, past-read information as recalled is that very very little junk software will be preinstalled if any.  The one disadvantage from my point of view is smooth technical support is missing.  Communication with technical support is inefficient, and any user forum is poorly designed.  You want a user guide or manual for your computer?  Forget that!  NONE!

Still, the one machine with which I have experience using is very good or better.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 February 2018 - 09:52 PM.
Fix spelling. ~ OB

#23 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hey LeeFrizsimmons,

You didn't get hurt on what you bought and imo Dell prebuilt computers are the best.

I've never bought a new prebuilt computer as I've always built my own although these days I use everyone elses old discarded computers and most of them are Dell computers.

Yes eight and ten year old Dell Optiplex desktop computers and all are still working 100% strong and keep on working so they last.

Use it and enjoy it.

Happy Holidays. :santa:

Couldn't agree more, The_Toolman.

Dells have always been favourites of mine.....and they last, too. I've got an ancient Inspiron 1100 lappie (see specs in my siggy), chugging along with an old Pentium 4 single-core. 

She may be ancient, but she just keeps going.....and going (and going....). Built like a brick outhouse, too (weighs nearly 4 kgs (that's around 8.8 lbs for our American cousins).....although to be fair, most of that can be accounted for by the massive 19.2 volt, 16-cell battery. They used to install full desktop CPUs in these things, along with the attendent power consumption (67W TDP from the 2.6 GHz P4..!)

None of this 'bendy' iPhone stuff you get these days.....

We've been a lot of places together, too; this was the kinda thing those laptop 'backpacks' were invented for. (You'd end up with 'gorilla arm' carrying it around in your hand, unlike MacBook 'Air's, and that kind of thing (which are as light as a feather in comparison!))

I'd agree with Madman, though; 'Linux' is a very useful word to remember. This old girl used to run XP originally, with 128 MB of RAM and a tiny 20GB HDD..! (Ran like the proverbial slug, as I recall.) I struggled on with it till EOL in '14, then looked around for something really lightweight for it, 'cos it wasn't going to run Win7, now was it?

After some 'distro-hopping', I ended up with 'Puppy' Linux, which runs completely in RAM.....her feet don't touch the ground now! She flies with Puppy, and after quite a bit of upgrading (now 2GB RAM and a 64GB SSD) would give many pre-loaded Win7 machines, with much newer hardware, a run for their money.....

Enjoy your Dell, and have fun with it.

-------------------------------

According to cafejose,

You want a user guide or manual for your computer?  Forget that!  NONE!

I've never had problems finding user manuals for pretty much anything online. They're out there; ya just gotta dig a little.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 February 2018 - 09:53 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#24 mattwil88

mattwil88

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:46 AM

Seems good enough. Just a free advice. Always keep a backup storage. I had a very bad time because of this. ;) Good luck!!

#25 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

Seems good enough. Just a free advice. Always keep a backup storage. I had a very bad time because of this. ;) Good luck!!

I couldn't agree more. I used to keep physical and cloud backup; however, I only use cloud backup now.

I DO keep the basic components and content of my website in a physical backup storage unit.

Don't think I'll ever need it.

#26 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

Mike_Walsh,

You had no trouble getting the guides that you wanted or needed, but when I could not find a full user guide, and then asked technical support from Dell about how to find or obtain the full user guide for the Inspiron laptop, technical support said very plainly, there is only the Quick-Start Guide; nothing more thorough.  I already saw and read the quick start guide.  

At least Toshiba had supplied a detailed software document copy ON the computer, so I could read that.  It discussed so much - very thorough.  Nothing like that from/for Dell.  One could also go to Toshiba laptop product website and find and download the manual for whatever machine you want.  Not so for/from Dell  (I mean the FULL manual/user guide - not some cheap little quickstart guide).

#27 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

@cafejosé:-

Fair comment. But I never, ever bother trying to get anything from Dell themselves. 

If I want a user manual I normally browse the many user-manual sites out there on the web; they're far more likely to have what you want. Most of these have been scanned, and uploaded by users like you & I.

I agree, Dell do make good machines. But their technical support is, er, shall we say, sometimes less than forthcoming..! Admittedly, when we acquired the old Inspiron in my siggy, this was back before Dell sold their products through the brick & mortar retailers; in those far-off days they used to sell direct to the consumer....and the supplied literature was far more comprehensive. The user manual for the 1100 runs to something over 230 pages; I'm looking at it right now.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 February 2018 - 09:23 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#28 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

@LeeFitzsimmons, That's a fine pc, and I've been eyeing one of those for a while now.  Like the Toolman and Mike_Walsh am using mostly older pc's.  And Dell Desktops are my favorite so far.  I do think some of these newer ones feel cheap, but that is probably because they are LOL, welcome to the new age of computers.  Should be a fine computer thought for a long time, hopefully.  I thought of getting the i3 model of this same pc, as it has a faster CPU per core, 3.90Ghz, but certainly the i5 is the way to go.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#29 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:08 AM

Mike_Walsh, this was good advice:

I've never had problems finding user manuals for pretty much anything online. They're out there; ya just gotta dig a little.....

I searched using Google last night for Dell Manuals, and found a Dell website; which I forgot the link address which I took as a Favorite Place on my other computer (Dell Inspiron laptop, Windows 10).  I found a page with links to some manuals, but instead of checking those links, even though the descriptions seemed good, I put my attention to an accossory that could not find on the site, but not finding one, I tried a CHAT session.  An agent found an accessory that I may later want to use.  Maybe Dell has made some improvements to their technical support and customer support.

#30 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

@cafejose:-

It's like any of these large companies; invariably, there are far more ways to get in touch with these firms, and to access their large amounts of stored knowledge than is ever made 'publicly available'. Sometimes you happen on links that'll get you to where you want to be in the most unlikely places.

I've been using the 'Net to find out stuff for the best part of its lifetime. You get rather adept at learning just the right way to word queries..!

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 24 February 2018 - 05:12 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users