Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell... :-)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

Just bought it yesterday...

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...desktop/spd/inspiron-3668-desktop/fdcwgam203s

What do you think? It's got an i5-7400 with four cores. Pretty cool, huh?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

Look's good! If you're like me and simply don't want any of the pre-installed software that is included, you can always use PC Decrapifier to help remove it! Otherwise, hope you enjoy your new machine! :)

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

Seems decent enough, if it was at full price it would be a serious ripoff.

Still though i think you may have overpaid a bit here, considering the hardware.

Edited by MadmanRB, 23 December 2017 - 12:37 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

Seems decent enough, if it was at full price it would be a serious ripoff.
Still though i think you may have overpaid a bit here, considering the hardware.

I disagree, the price given is pretty fair considering it's a pre-built machine.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

It depends, I have seen similar hardware for cheaper in some places.

Places like Walmart and Microcenter can offer great deals if you strike at the right time

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

AnythingButMalware and MadmanRB,

Thank you for your replies... :-)

They are enormously appreciated. I am now typing on the new machine.

The price is a fair one considering that it is pre-built AND there is a warranty. I got it at the local brick and mortar facility for about the same price as the listed one in the link.

The only pre-installed software giving me problems is the McAfee security that came with the unit. I would like to take that out since I already have a subscription to Webroot with over 200 days left.

Edited by LeeFitzsimmons, 23 December 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

Cool

The only thing I would do to that puppy is wipe it clean of preinstalled software, get a backup disk of some kind (get a USB external drive ASAP and a few thumb drives) and start enjoying your PC.

Just keep it clean of dust, dont keep in in a enclosed space and make sure to always have a backup hard drive.

Other things to do in the future:

Invest in a SSD, seriously its a great upgrade for any machine

Learn your hardware inside and out, even if you dont know much about computers its alweays nice to know your hardware so if you have an issue note it down. (tools like speccy are very handy for this)

Also: linux, keep that word in mind for the future as it may save your machinery if windows ever dies

Edited by MadmanRB, 23 December 2017 - 01:28 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

Thank for the advice MadmanRB.

The nice thing about this unit is that it is not packed with pre-installed crap like you usually see. The McAfee appears to be the only thing that is unwanted at this point.

I'm still trying to fathom the fact that I now have a terabyte of storage. I remember almost twenty years (whoops, I need to adjust my walker) when a terabyte of data storage took up an entire room.

Memories...  :clapping:

Edited by LeeFitzsimmons, 23 December 2017 - 02:54 PM.

#9 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

The nice thing about this unit is that it is not packed with pre-installed crap like you usually see. The McAfee appears to be the only thing that is unwanted at this point.

I'm still trying to fathom the fact that I now have a terabyte of storage. I remember almost twenty years (whoops, I need to adjust my walker) when a terabyte of data storage took up an entire room.

Here you go! -- this should help you with the removal of McAfee.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

Enjoy your new machine!  Of course, one suggestion (now, now, you knew that was coming, right? :wink: )....Get yourself an external, USB drive the same gig-size as your current drive, download and install Macrium Reflect (free) imaging and backup utility, and make regular backups 2X month on the 1st and 15th religiously. Backups are the one thing nobody wants to bother with, until one day you get a virus that trashes your operating system and you loose years of data, pictures, music, etc. It's only 4 mouse clicks, you can start it just before you go to bed, direct it to shut down on completion, and when you get up in the AM its all done, shut down and waiting for you!

If you need any help with the program just post back, but it's super-simple to use and rock solid dependable.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

Here you go! -- this should help you with the removal of McAfee.

Thanks for the link! Just took it off my machine and have installed Webroot from the company's website. I still have a subscription there, so all is well. Have a (insert politically correct words here) an amazing weekend!

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,405 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

Hey LeeFrizsimmons,

You didn't get hurt on what you bought and imo Dell prebuilt computers are the best.

I've never bought a new prebuilt computer as I've always built my own although these days I use everyone elses old discarded computers and most of them are Dell computers.

Yes eight and ten year old Dell Optiplex desktop computers and all are still working 100% strong and keep on working so they last.

Use it and enjoy it.

Happy Holidays. :santa:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#13 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

Hey LeeFrizsimmons,

You didn't get hurt on what you bought and imo Dell prebuilt computers are the best.

I've never bought a new prebuilt computer as I've always built my own although these days I use everyone elses old discarded computers and most of them are Dell computers.

Yes eight and ten year old Dell Optiplex desktop computers and all are still working 100% strong and keep on working so they last.

Use it and enjoy it.

Happy Holidays. :santa:

Thanks for your awesome reply, The_Toolman...

I posted this at another computer forum (which shall remain nameless) and lots of individuals trashed Dell.

I really don't know how good Dell pre-built desktops are, but I was always under the impression that they were well-made units.

So far, I have no complaints... :clapping:

...and I appreciate you justifying my decision.

I also wish you a Merry Christmas... :) :)

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

To get rid of McAfee use the McAfee removal tool, it is a must that will save you a lot of grief!

Step by step from McAfee:  https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=NaeNs2a_PhDSieKxt34bMUw8L0VyKBikjKlpUPI2zjkxOjePexnb!1633732872!555299754?articleId=TS101331&_afrLoop=2119747595276313#!%40%40%3F_afrLoop%3D2119747595276313%26articleId%3DTS101331%26centerWidth%3D100%2525%26leftWidth%3D0%2525%26rightWidth%3D0%2525%26showFooter%3Dfalse%26showHeader%3Dfalse%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Dk79ra5sl_4

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#15 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thanks, OldPhil...

...but I have already removed the program. It was as easy as going to the control panel and zapping it. That's what the first link posted in this thread instructed me to do.

So far, so good.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you... I hope all is well in Long Island...  :smilers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users