Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office 2010 keeps wanting to reinstall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

Hello
Running Win 10 from Win 7. I installed Microsoft Office 2010 over a year ago. If I go to open Microsoft Word it wants to go through setup again. If I X out of the setup it winds up opening. I did a repair in Programs and works well for a while but eventually wants to run setup again. Anything I can try without reinstall?
If I do need a reinstall how do I keep ALL my settings and entries in Outlook mail and calendar
If it matters I have 5 users on the computer

Thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:15 AM

I ran into this problem using certain cleaners like ccleaner in the past with MS Office. I'm not sure what was happening but eventually I realized every time I used this cleaner, office would want to re-install. The only thing I could figure is that the cleaner was removing a component Office needed to run properly. I apologize if this is not helpful enough but perhaps it will start someone on a path to a fix.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

It may be easier and quicker if you just bite the bullet, uninstall Office, then do a fresh installation of Office. 

You may also benefit from running sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

Thanks guys
I do use CCleaner. Strange it would affect it. Ill do the scan first

Thanks
Tom

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

CCleaner has a registry cleaner.  You should not use this option.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

As an aside, there are security updates to Office that will trigger the Office install dialog for specific office programs the first time you open them.

One of the most recent did this and I got the install dialog when I opened Word 2010 and so did my partner on his machine.  I just let it run through one time and I have never had it show up again.  You don't get prompted for the product key for these sorts of installs.

I long ago gave up trying to figure out which of the occasional security updates (and it's always been an MS-Office 2010 security update) will trigger this behavior versus which one will not.  It's a minor inconvenience to deal with this one time for a given update and having things go back to normal until the next one that triggers the behavior.

These installs are not full-blown, from scratch installs.  They run some "special installer" because you don't get stepped through all of the steps typical of the "from scratch" installer for MS-Office.  The installers seem to be linked to individual Office programs not Office as a whole.

Edited by britechguy, 23 December 2017 - 10:37 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

Ok
I will not use the registry cleaner any longer and will let the install run its course. Will do a sfc to make sure nothing is missing

Thanks!
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users