Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop turns off when closed and unplugged

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NFUN

NFUN

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:02 AM

I have a Dell Precision 7510 laptop. For the last few months, if I shut my laptop without the power cord connected, or if I take out the cord while it's shut, it'll reset upon opening. I can't remember any specific even happening before the issue appeared.

I assume going into sleep mode in general will do this (after the issue first appeared I kept it plugged in whenever possible). If I don't say otherwise within 10 minutes, assume that it indeed shut off and I was too impatient to wait to log back in to confirm.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NFUN

NFUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

Yeah it turns off when sleeping while open too

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

What is the condition of your battery?

If I'm reading you correctly, this is only happening if your power supply is removed.   The sleep state generally will go to hibernate, if at all possible, when it detects that the power level is getting too low to even support sleep mode for much longer.  If the drop off in battery power is too sudden to allow this to occur you could get an ungraceful power down not unlike one gets if one holds in the power button long enough to force an instant power off.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 NFUN

NFUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:33 PM

My battery is fine. It can last for hours when open.

I checked the power settings and it's never supposed to hibernate, and the settings for when it's charging vs unplugged are basically identical.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

What, precisely, is happening that makes you think that the computer has shut down when the lid has been closed?

Every laptop I know of has its power light in "slow strobe" mode while sleeping.  Does yours cease to do this after 10 minutes of closed lid?

Edited by britechguy, 23 December 2017 - 04:39 PM.
Added bit about power light.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 NFUN

NFUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

I think it sleeps alright unplugged, being in the "slow strobe" mode, but when it wakes up, it takes a while to load back to the login screen, a minute or two like if I turned it on after explicitly shutting it off, and all of the programs that were running have been closed. If I wake it up from sleep while plugged in, it takes like 3 seconds to login. I guess the computer could be logging me off and going into hibernation, but Occam's razor and all.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

Well, you are definitely right that something's off because sleep mode, whether on battery power (provided it doesn't get to the critical level) or the power supply should behave identically.   Programs should not be closed by sleeping nor should it take significantly longer to wake up whether waking on battery power or power supply.

The first thing I'd suggest is:

and seeing if SFC, DISM, or perhaps both find issues that they fix.

#8 NFUN

NFUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

SFC ran without finding any errors and DISM reported that it had completed successfully. The issue persists.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Well, I'm out of ideas as there is no logical reason that sleep should behave any differently when the laptop is on external versus battery power unless the battery begins to run out while it is asleep.

This doesn't even make sense to me as far as Windows goes, as it controls the sleep process.  Have you looked under Power Options and Advanced Power Options to see if something appears to be off there?  You would, of course, need to have a fully functioning counterpart to try to determine what's different.

I hope this issue might ring a bell for someone else.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:19 PM

Can you run this tool - https://www.sysnative.com/blogs/download/sysnativebsodcollectionapp-exe/ It will allow us to review the System Event Logs and provide us with other helpful info (disregard the fact that it's for BSODs, it's helpful nonetheless).

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#11 NFUN

NFUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

Can you run this tool - https://www.sysnative.com/blogs/download/sysnativebsodcollectionapp-exe/ It will allow us to review the System Event Logs and provide us with other helpful info (disregard the fact that it's for BSODs, it's helpful nonetheless).

Attached Files

Edited by NFUN, 30 December 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

Thank you.

I managed to trace one of the unexpected shutdowns from the System Event Log.

Event[78]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: EventLog
  Date: 2017-12-30T14:36:35.339
  Event ID: 6008
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: DESKTOP-VLPQOOB
  Description:
The previous system shutdown at 2:38:08 AM on ?12/?30/?2017 was unexpected.

Unfortunately, there isn't much helpful information apart from that. On the other hand, I do suspect that the problem isn't an actual fault in Windows — it's a fault with the BIOS. Your BIOS version is over a year old, version 1.9.4, according to SystemInfo:

BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. 1.9.4, 11/4/2016

Now there appears to be a bug in version 1.9.4 (perhaps before that) which was patched in December of last year with version 1.9.5, and it sounds very close to your problem. I am quoting from DELL's support page for version 1.9.5:

Fixes:
- Fixed system restart issue when both Device Guard and Credential Guard enabled in Win10 enterprise.
- Fixed system only can switch display to external monitor one time by lid close in the Bios Setup.
- Fixed system become reboot from hibernation resume after loading Bios default. [sic]

Hence I would update your BIOS to the latest version — that is, version 1.15.4. I would suggest you double-check whether what I'm seeing is what you're seeing, i.e., that the BIOS update linked is truly applicable to your model. And of course follow all of DELL's precautions.

Edited by bwv848, 30 December 2017 - 05:46 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#13 NFUN

NFUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:08 AM

Thank you.

I managed to trace one of the unexpected shutdowns from the System Event Log.

Event[78]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: EventLog
  Date: 2017-12-30T14:36:35.339
  Event ID: 6008
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: DESKTOP-VLPQOOB
  Description:
The previous system shutdown at 2:38:08 AM on ?12/?30/?2017 was unexpected.

Unfortunately, there isn't much helpful information apart from that. On the other hand, I do suspect that the problem isn't an actual fault in Windows — it's a fault with the BIOS. Your BIOS version is over a year old, version 1.9.4, according to SystemInfo:

BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. 1.9.4, 11/4/2016

Now there appears to be a bug in version 1.9.4 (perhaps before that) which was patched in December of last year with version 1.9.5, and it sounds very close to your problem. I am quoting from DELL's support page for version 1.9.5:

Fixes:
- Fixed system restart issue when both Device Guard and Credential Guard enabled in Win10 enterprise.
- Fixed system only can switch display to external monitor one time by lid close in the Bios Setup.
- Fixed system become reboot from hibernation resume after loading Bios default. [sic]

Hence I would update your BIOS to the latest version — that is, version 1.15.4. I would suggest you double-check whether what I'm seeing is what you're seeing, i.e., that the BIOS update linked is truly applicable to your model. And of course follow all of DELL's precautions.

That did the trick. Thank you so much!

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the update, you’re welcome — glad we could help!

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

And, not aimed at the OP in any way but as an observation in general, this is why one's BIOS/UEFI should be updated to the latest version, whatever that may be for your hardware, just as your operating system is (at least for security).

BIOS/UEFI updates are generally done for one of two purposes:  security fixes or bug fixes.   You can run into bugs such as the one in this thread that would have been avoided entirely had BIOS/UEFI updates been checked for and installed when available at your device manufacturer's support website.

These days they're generally very simple to do, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users