Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move EFI partition "to the left"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:15 PM

hi, 

So i added an SSD to my ultrabook which had an HDD, so since i set the SSD as system drive, i moved the EFI partition from HDD to the SSD via diskpart. 

Unfortunately, 

- the EFI partiton was placed after the OS partition which is not what i want. My partition layout is actually: MSR | Win10 | EFI.  I can still use my computer normally but the layout isn't nice to my eyes.

- i tried to move the EFI one before Win10 using dikpart or Minitool Partition Wizard, without success.

So anyone have any ideas how to "solve" this ? (without buying a dedicated soft)

Thank you.

Edited by Umbra, 22 December 2017 - 09:17 PM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:29 PM

I  will try with Gparted.

Edited by Umbra, 22 December 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#3 Crappy

Crappy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

I  will try with Gparted.

Hey Umbra, Any luck with this?

I was going to suggest using g parted but you beat me to it. Are you going to boot a Linux OS Or just the Gparted Linux Distribute? Only from my experience, I found using the Gparted Distribution difficult to use. I found it much easier downloading a Linux Os (in my case Mint) And downloading & installing Gparted from the terminal.

Gparted Live Download: https://gparted.org/download.php

Linux Mint Download(s): Cinnamon 32-bit 64-bit

Edited by Crappy, 22 December 2017 - 09:50 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:56 PM

The MSR for Windows 10 is 16MB. It cannot be resized but it should be movable. The MSR is not required. Windows 10 does have a RE (Recovery Environment) partition that is used for accessing the Advanced Boot Options.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

I am not sure how you would be able to move the EFI partition to the front of the Windows partition using Gparted. I don't think that is possible. You would need to shrink the left side of the Windows partition, move the MSR partition to the right, and then somehow copy the EFI partition to the front of the Windows partition, if that is even possible. You can copy partitions between disks but I am not sure if you can copy partitions on the same disk especially EFI partitions. Then delete the EFI partition after the Windows partition and expand the Windows partition into the space left behind by the deleted EFI partition.

Another way would be to delete the EFI partition, move the Windows partition and MSR partition, then rebuild the EFI partition using diskpart but that is not an easy task. 

Personally, if the computer boots fine I would leave the partitions alone, especially if there is important data on the drive.

#5 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:57 AM

Problem solved  !

Indeed @JohnC_21, Gparted cant fully move the EFI, so i used a workaround to make it possible, and it needs Gparted so i will put the procedure in case someone needs it:

Tools needed :

- Macrium Reflect free

- Minitool Partition Wizard

- Gparted in live USB,

Using Macrium Reflect: 

0- do a backup of the current system

Using Minitool PW:

1- Shrink the Windows partition by the same size as the existent EFI partition is. (300mb in my case) and place the unallocated space before the windows partition (the "before" is the most important point).

2- Create a new FAT32 partition from the unallocated space 

3- copy the EFI partiton to this new partition. validate the operations.

Using Gparted

4-  With Gparted (as live USB), booted from it. (please disable Secureboot in BIOS settings, if not you won't boot from it)

5- Gparted will ask 2-3 questions, let them at default.

6- Once the GUI appears, select the newly created partition (should be at the left of the Windows partition; with the size you chose earlier).

7- Right click > select Manage Flags > tick BOOT and ESP.

8- Validate the operations, Gparted will execute them and refresh the GUI. now at this point you should have 2 EFI partitions (one before and one after the Windows partition)

9- Exit Gparted, reboot, you shouldn't have any problems but we aren't finish.

Using Macrium Reflect.

Do a backup of all the partitions. (who knows) 

Using minitool PW (or Windows Disk Management)

10- Delete the old EFI partition, (the one at right of Windows one ), it will become unallocated space.

11- Extend Windows partition using the unallocated space made from the old EFI partition.

12- Reboot, normally  Windows will load properly, and by launching diskmgmt.msc via "run", your EFI partition should be properly located before Windows (at its left).

13- Don't forget to re-enable Secureboot in BIOS settings.

Do a new backup , because backups always save your life ;) 

We are done :)

Edited by Umbra, 23 December 2017 - 01:29 AM.

#6 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:17 AM

Are you going to boot a Linux OS Or just the Gparted Linux Distribute? Only from my experience, I found using the Gparted Distribution difficult to use. I found it much easier downloading a Linux Os (in my case Mint) And downloading & installing Gparted from the terminal.

Gparted Linux Distribution :)

Personally, if the computer boots fine I would leave the partitions alone, especially if there is important data on the drive.

just aesthetic stuff and the Windows warning annoyed me ^^

Edited by Umbra, 23 December 2017 - 01:17 AM.

#7 Crappy

Crappy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:58 AM

Are you going to boot a Linux OS Or just the Gparted Linux Distribute? Only from my experience, I found using the Gparted Distribution difficult to use. I found it much easier downloading a Linux Os (in my case Mint) And downloading & installing Gparted from the terminal.

Gparted Linux Distribution :)

just aesthetic stuff and the Windows warning annoyed me ^^

Well done fixing it and thanks for the guide!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,628 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the instructions. I was familiar with Gparted boot flag but not the esp flag. I'm wondering if all the steps could have been done using Gparted as it can also copy and paste partitions. I don't know if it can do it on the same drive though.

#9 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the instructions. I was familiar with Gparted boot flag but not the esp flag. I'm wondering if all the steps could have been done using Gparted as it can also copy and paste partitions. I don't know if it can do it on the same drive though.

Unfortunately, GParted couldn't copy the content of the old EFI partition to the newly created one; it is why i used Minitool. Also Gparted was terribly slow (around 15mn for 30Gb) to create an unallocated space to the left of Windows (because moving thge OS) while Minitiools less than 5mn (with reboots).

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,628 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

Unfortunately, GParted couldn't copy the content of the old EFI partition to the newly created one; it is why i used Minitool. Also Gparted was terribly slow (around 15mn for 30Gb) to create an unallocated space to the left of Windows (because moving thge OS) while Minitiools less than 5mn (with reboots).

Thanks, that's good to know.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users