Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gray screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mejim

mejim

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

Dell laptop

XPS L502X

OS Windows 7

About a year ago my laptop started having trouble on startup when the screen is mostly gray with horizontal lines. This happens about 80% of the time on startup. I can get it to work properly after a while by pressing on the screen while I flip the screen back and forth with the laptop hinge/pivot.

Sometimes, if I don't bother closing the door on the lapop, it will startup just fine in the morning. But other times I have to repeat the procedure of moving the screen back and forth. 

Other than this, the laptop works fine but I am worried that it will not come back to normal at some point. Can anyone tell me what is going on and suggest a fix for me? I live in remote Alaska so going to a repair shop is a bit of a problem.

thanks,

Jim

Edited by mejim, 22 December 2017 - 09:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

first you have to take it apart and make sure the connections are seated snug, then you can poke at the video cable beside the hinge and see if you can tell if it's a broken wire or not.  that's probably what the problem is going to be.

#3 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

Can you tell me more about the connections in the hinge? How do I get at it or anything you know?

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users