Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Buy & Install a Legit Copy of Win 10 on a Corrupted Win 8 PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 truthisone

truthisone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

My parent's only PC, a 10 year old Vista HP, just died. They only need a PC to surf the internet so I was planning to fix up an old Win 8 desktop that's been collecting dust at my place. Recently I checked it & I know the only problem is that I tried to do the free upgrade it to Windows 10 (so it might be 8.1) and it was an unsuccessful install, then the restore to Windows 8 was unsuccessful as well. Plus those partitions that come with a rescue copy of Windows on it rarely work for me. So, I just gave up on it and stuck with using my laptop or tablet for the past few years.

Now I think I just need to find a reasonably priced a Windows 10 Home licence to buy. However, my parents brodband isn;t working as it should. They pay the cable company for 30GB speed connection & are only averaging 2-8GB when I run speed tests over Wifi (if they're not using their TIVo to record or to stream programming, which is the only hobby either of them have) and then there's no internet connection at all if it's windy or stormy outside. So, there's no way I will be able to download a copy of Windows on their machine and I can't bring my laptop for the holiday.

I've been telling them for years that they have a bad cable wire running across 1 acre of land to their house for years. This was confirmed when someone phone the phone company came out and told me that the cable wire was in really rough shape from their frequent ice storms and 5 hornets nests he had to remove from the junction box on the the pole on the road outside their property line that the telephone company & the cable company share. However, there's no other Cable nor Broadband ISP in the area & it would probably cost them a bunch of time and money to replace an acre long cable line, so they keep blaming my parent's problems on "Widgets." I can't stand people that make up fictions reasons & parts just to confuse the non-tech savvy over 50 crowd!  :nono: I'll have to be there to start a battle with the cable company after they have a working Win 10 PC in the house later this winter.

Anyways, 1st, I don't know where to buy a Legit Copy of Windows 10 Home for a fair price. There's so many different licence options, many of which (Like Refurbished & Builder) I don't think this machine qualifies for. Then here's so many scam artists selling bogus licences, but I also think that Microsoft is selling it at an overpriced rate. I know $29 is too good be true, but is there must be a reliable middle ground to purchase it from? And how much is a good price to pay?

2nd I won't be able to download Windows 10 Home while I'm at their home and I'll be leaving on January 1st. So, I was thinking of buying 1 of those Recovery/Re-installation disks (I know they can be from shady sellers, but I will be buying a Legit Licence number anyways.) So, then I will have the disk to install & setup the PC Right before I leave. Does that sound ok or is that a bad idea?

Thanks so much for your help and advice!  :santa: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

To get you up and running you can download the Media Creation Tool for 8.1. If the OEM computer was pre-installed with 8 or 8.1 the key is embedded in firmware and the OS will auto-activate once online.

You can run the Media Creation tool on any Windows 7 or later computer. Follow the below guide for doing a clean install because you have a lot of partitions on this computer now. You want to delete them all.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

Because 8.1 is such a drastic change from Windows 7 install Classic Shell. This will give it Windows 7 GUI functionality.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Personally, I wouldn't trust a Windows 10 key for $25. With a clean install of 8.1 you are good until 2023 for security updates. That's 6 years and you will not have to worry about any hardware losing support because of the constant Windows 10 upgrades. Save your money and keep Windows 8.1.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 December 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

you can get windows 10 for free until the 31st at this link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(14c348e893a91089cb2980533c6ee123)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA)()

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

Do not buy Windows 10, just upgrade for free. You have to act soon;

https://www.howtogeek.com/265409/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-from-microsofts-accessibility-site/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:32 PM

I am so sorry, I reread your entire post. If you can not do it before Jan. 1st 2018 then you will have to buy it. It is only free until Dec. 31st.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

I would suggest to the OP if your parents just want to surf the net and check their email, that Linux Mint Cinnamon would be the ideal candidate for them.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

My parent's only PC, a 10 year old Vista HP, just died. They only need a PC to surf the internet so I was planning to fix up an old Win 8 desktop that's been collecting dust at my place. Recently I checked it & I know the only problem is that I tried to do the free upgrade it to Windows 10 (so it might be 8.1) and it was an unsuccessful install, then the restore to Windows 8 was unsuccessful as well. Plus those partitions that come with a rescue copy of Windows on it rarely work for me. So, I just gave up on it and stuck with using my laptop or tablet for the past few years.

Now I think I just need to find a reasonably priced a Windows 10 Home licence to buy. However, my parents brodband isn;t working as it should. They pay the cable company for 30GB speed connection & are only averaging 2-8GB when I run speed tests over Wifi (if they're not using their TIVo to record or to stream programming, which is the only hobby either of them have) and then there's no internet connection at all if it's windy or stormy outside. So, there's no way I will be able to download a copy of Windows on their machine and I can't bring my laptop for the holiday.

I've been telling them for years that they have a bad cable wire running across 1 acre of land to their house for years. This was confirmed when someone phone the phone company came out and told me that the cable wire was in really rough shape from their frequent ice storms and 5 hornets nests he had to remove from the junction box on the the pole on the road outside their property line that the telephone company & the cable company share. However, there's no other Cable nor Broadband ISP in the area & it would probably cost them a bunch of time and money to replace an acre long cable line, so they keep blaming my parent's problems on "Widgets." I can't stand people that make up fictions reasons & parts just to confuse the non-tech savvy over 50 crowd!  :nono: I'll have to be there to start a battle with the cable company after they have a working Win 10 PC in the house later this winter.

Anyways, 1st, I don't know where to buy a Legit Copy of Windows 10 Home for a fair price. There's so many different licence options, many of which (Like Refurbished & Builder) I don't think this machine qualifies for. Then here's so many scam artists selling bogus licences, but I also think that Microsoft is selling it at an overpriced rate. I know $29 is too good be true, but is there must be a reliable middle ground to purchase it from? And how much is a good price to pay?

2nd I won't be able to download Windows 10 Home while I'm at their home and I'll be leaving on January 1st. So, I was thinking of buying 1 of those Recovery/Re-installation disks (I know they can be from shady sellers, but I will be buying a Legit Licence number anyways.) So, then I will have the disk to install & setup the PC Right before I leave. Does that sound ok or is that a bad idea?

Thanks so much for your help and advice!  :santa: 

Just make the installation media before you go to their house. You can download the installation media from Microsoft and create a DVD and then take it with you. That will save a lot of time;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users