Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My curser jumps backward when I am entering text anywhere in the system (even in

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wonderman

Wonderman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

When I am entering text in either word processing program or emails or even this program, the curser/ insertion of the next letter frequently jumps back to random points while I am typing.  Since I am not always viewing the screen, it is difficult to see where the curser  has jumped to and I have to search it out and do a lot of extra work, like erasing the new data.  This going back-and-forth consumes a great deal of time and patience and makes it many times harder to use any program where text has to be entered for anything more that a few sentences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

the first thing i would do is try another keyboard and mouse (change one at a time)

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

Is this a laptop you are using ?  If it is I am willing to bet good money that this is being caused by the base of your thumbs brushing the trackpad as you type. I only know two cures.

1  Change your typing style to one with your wrists more bent so that only your finger tips touch the surface of the laptop

2  Use a mouse and disable the trackpad. There is usually a software switch for this but some laptops automatically disengage the trackpad if you plug in a mouse. And, just to make life perfect, the odd laptop makes it impossible to disengage the trackpad !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Wonderman

Wonderman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:42 PM

I tried everything from going real slow to entering each key stroke while making sure that I don't have an over-sensitive touch pad.  The problem is still there.  Any other good ideas, I'll try them. Also if anyone knows how to go into control and set it to receive continuous reply notifications  from "Bleepingcomputer" I'd appreciate it.

#5 JulianAS

JulianAS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

I have had the same maddening problem for over a year.  I have an HP Pavilion dv7 with the Synaptic Touch Pad driver installed.  It came pre-installed with my machine.  Since I use a wireless mouse, the touchpad driver is over-rode by the Bluetooth driver.  Nevertheless, when I'm typing, my cursor would jump away from where I was typing to some other place on the screen.  After searching online for the cause of the problem the majority of the explanations centered on the touchpad as the cause.  As I stated, the Bluetooth driver (supposedly) overrides the touchpad's driver.  I manually uninstalled the touchpad driver, and, to my horror, it (the Synaptic Touchpad driver) would reinstall itself with each reboot/restart.  After this went on for months I then got aggressive about it and uninstalled every semblance of Synaptic using the regedit function.  It didn't matter.  The Synaptic driver found a way to reappear.  I tried several aggressive approaches to "killing off" the driver but it always returned. I wouldn't know that it reinstalled itself until I started typing say, in the search box, for instance. I would type maybe three characters and then I'd hear the Microsoft default "dink" which occured when the cursor moved itself out of the search box; or worse, the cursor would move itself to a particular spot on my screen after I began typing; and when I moved it back to where I left off, after a few keystrokes, the cursor would fly to that samparticular spot.  Anyway, I finally discovered the problem.  I located the standard Microsoft mouse drivers in Device Manager.  There are a few different iterations.  I uninstalled or replaced the one which is signed as default.  The problem has not reared its ugly head since.

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Entry # 4... If you are trying to follow and get notified of activity on this thread, upper right corner "follow this topic...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users