Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Code: BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 REIDS

REIDS

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

I am running windows 10 on an HP computer. I had a power outage yesterday and the computer obviously shut down immediately. Once the power came back on I turned on the computer and it would not boot into windows.

Initially Windows will start the normal boot process and then a sideways frown face shows up and below it, it states "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." When it gets to 60% complete, it stops and gives the following Stop Code: BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO

Once the computer tries to restart again, the normal process to boot into windows starts and then states at the bottom of the screen that it is "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then changes to "Diagnosing your PC". Then a blue screen displays the following message "Automatic Repair - Your PC did not start correctly" and then gives the option to Restart or Advanced Options.

I tried restoring the hard drive and that failed. I opened the boot menu and selected run Diagnostics and the following results popped up:

CPU Test - Passed

Hard Drive Connection Test - Passed

Boot Test - Passed

S.M.A.R.T Test - Failed    Error Code 303 Failed

The day before the power went out I was trying to get the Windows Update to download and install updates, however, it kept stopping part way through and stated that Windows was Unable to install the updates. I tried this 3 times and it wouldn't completed the install portion.

I'm not sure what else to try here. Please help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hi there,

STOP 0x00000074: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFOs are nearly always indicative of damage to the SYSTEM registry hive. Since you got a power outage yesterday this isn't surprising — any sudden, unexpected system shutdown is capable of causing irreparable damage to Windows. What's more surprising is that S.M.A.R.T. is showing your HDD in some trouble. While a "straight" power cutoff (like pulling the plug) probably won't cause any damage to your HDD, power surges (like in a bad storm), causing the power to “go on and off,” can, though rarely.

On the other hand, I wonder whether if the HDD was already in trouble before the power outage; thus the power outage just made the situation worse. But I can only speculate so I won't jump to any conclusions.

Is there anything important on the computer? What exactly do you mean by "restoring the hard drive?" How old is the system? If you have nothing important on it and/or have backups of your data try running SeaTools for DOS. Run the Short and Long Generic tests. If the former fails, don't bother with the latter one.

Thanks.

Edited by bwv848, 22 December 2017 - 11:44 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

I am probably due for a new computer soon anyways. However, I have some financial spreadsheets and other documents that I need to retrieve off of the main hard drive. I don't have backups of them. If there is a way to temporarily access the hard drive to copy most of the main drive important information over to my separate internal storage drive that would be great. If I can get into windows under safe mode that would be ideal.

I entered the boot menu, when the computer starts up, and tried the option to restore the computer to a previous point (I'm not exactly sure what this is called). I bought the computer when they were still selling Windows Version 7 (maybe 4 to 5 years ago...), and then used the free upgrade to windows 10 at some point.

Should I run the seatools for dos?

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hi,

Since you still have valuable data on your computer, please don't run SeaTools as it may only aggravate the potentially failing HDD — stay away from all HDD diagnostics until you've backed up your data. Instead I'd like you to post over in the backup forums for advice on how to retrieve your files.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:43 PM

So I ended up purchasing a new home computer and was able to transfer all of the files from my old hard drive to the new computer using a USB Conversion cable connected directly to the Hard Drive.

Sorry for taking so long to post. Thank you for your help.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:18 PM

No problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users