Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Icon in explorer after upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tamarisk

tamarisk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

I have an ACER 5920 that originally ran Vista SP2 but has recently been upgraded by someone else to Win 10 Fall update via Win 7. When it ran Vista it had a malware/virus problem and Combofix was used to help sort the problem. Combofix created a folder in the C: drive that appears to replicate most of the contents of the computer.

In Win 10 it shows in explorer as a similar icon to the "This PC" icon, see attached screen shot. Several of the subfolders under "Combofix" are duplicated in the left-hand pane as can be seen in the screenshot. I renamed the "Combofix" folder to "GWAP Combofix" see what, if anything, happened.

I am in the process of removing junk left over after the upgrade to Win 10 and I would like to remove the "GWAP Combofix" folder but I'm concerned that if I simply delete it that I will delete more than I bargained for. If I delete a file from the "GWAP Combofix" folder it deletes it from the PC.

I understand that Combofix is not meant for Win 10 and I am concerned that the Combofix/ Uninstall solutions (by Quietman) I've found on this forum will cause damage.

Can someone help with this issue?

Attached Files

Edited by tamarisk, 22 December 2017 - 04:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tamarisk

tamarisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:12 AM

After much searching I found the solution here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587494/uninstall-combofixremove-combofix-folder-from-windows-10/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users