Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second Monitor Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rock_Fish

Rock_Fish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

Running Windows 10 on a my MSI laptop with 4K monitor (I think this 4K monitor will be the end of me with it's scaling and not scaling and everything else). Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with drivers up to date.

With a lot of the software I am running, I am having issues with scaling of the 4K monitor on my laptop (needed so I can read things). Things don't scale right, forms and drop downs get wonky, that sort of thing. What I would like to do is use two external monitors at 100% scaling and not my laptop 4K monitor (work with my laptop closed). However things aren't going exactly as hoped.

I think the problem started when I connected to two external dell monitors I use at work. Not for sure but it seems like the problems started after that. I also noticed that the Dell monitors hijack my audio, meaning when not connected, my laptop audio all of a sudden wouldn't play and I noticed it was trying to play it through the dell monitors, not my laptop speakers.

Here are the symptoms I am having.

1) My HDMI port does not work on some things now. 

At work I plug into the two monitors with HDMI to HDMI and mini HDMI to HDMI and it works fine (except of symptom two). The HDMI port on my laptop also works with my HTC Vive. Now when I get home I have two monitors as well but the HDMI to HDMI no longer works with either of them (it had worked previously). I have also had this problem with the HDMI port not working for a project I plug into (though it does still work on a wall port to a wall monitor at work). My mini HDMI still works and so I use that for using one external monitor at home (though I would like to use two external monitors). 

2) Second monitor is grainy and dark. 

At work my second external monitor, when first connect is grainy and dark (contrast is all out of wack). I have to restart my laptop and then things look fine on the second external monitor (not using laptop monitor). At home, my second monitor (first external monitor since I can't get the second one to work) experiences the same thing. Every once in a while it goes back to normal (on startup) but it is not like at work where a simple restart fixes it every time. I have attached two pictures so you can see the difference between the grainy monitor and regular monitor. (EDIT: The screen clipped image of the grainy monitor does not copy as grainy so both images look the same. I guess this makes sense since it is an issue with the display and not the image...)  It should be noted that the resolution on the grainy monitor is set to recommended with 100% scaling so it is not an issue with that.

I know somethings about computers but not a lot so please let me know what other information might be helpful and explain like you would to a tech savvy 1st grader (a little explanation might be needed on where to find stuff or how to do processes).

Thanks in advance for any help or insight offered.

Attached Files

Edited by Rock_Fish, 22 December 2017 - 10:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rock_Fish

Rock_Fish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

Update, at home I reset my 4K monitor to 100% scaling and restarted my computer. External monitor looks fine at restart. Changed 4K back to 200% scaling and restarted my computer. External monitor still looks okay (no graininess or contrast issues). Very weird behavior.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

Rock_Fish I'm going to use you as an example of what the problem is with 4K monitors.  Everyone thinks more is better until they find out that everything is too small to see, especially if they are over 40.

Normally I advise connecting the monitors and then turning on the machine.  I've seen issues with external projectors where they don't work properly if connected while the laptop is on, but if connected when off they work fine.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

In my experience, Windows 10 scaling for high DPI screens is better than on older versions, but it's still far from perfect, particularly when trying to use multiple monitors with different resolutions.

I also noticed that the Dell monitors hijack my audio, meaning when not connected, my laptop audio all of a sudden wouldn't play and I noticed it was trying to play it through the dell monitors, not my laptop speakers.

You can manually change the audio output device (i.e. from HDMI audio to the internal speakers).  Click the volume control in your system tray and you may notice above the volume slider it gives the name of the device currently in use.  If there's a little arrow alongside it it means you can click there and open up a dropdown menu which allow you to select a different device.  Also if you right click the volume control icon in the system tray and choose "Playback Devices" you can set the default output to your laptops speakers.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users