Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Truecrypt drive files disappeared :/

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:15 AM

I have a true crypt drive where I kept some important files, and I just noticed when I mount the drive that the drive appears as empty. In properties it doesn't say how many files, or even 0 files, but it does say there is space used which makes me think they are still there somewhere. I actually had a backup but it seems I somehow backed up the same broken version. 

Anyone have any idea how I can view the files?

Screenshot122.jpg

Edited by noz03, 22 December 2017 - 06:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

Anyone? :(

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

Is this an encrypted container or is the whole volume encrypted?  Is this drive a USB flash drive? You can mount the drive, correct? If the drive is mounted but no files are found you could try running PhotoRec on the mounted drive to see if it can recover any files.

If this is a container file and not the full volume you can make a copy of it and then mount it with the option to use the backup header if available. I would only do this with a backup copy.

https://superuser.com/questions/997524/corruption-of-a-truecrypt-file

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users