Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any suggestions to make this cheaper?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lolfaceftw

Lolfaceftw

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:59 AM

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xykQ8K

EDIT: I have replaced  the AMD FX-9590 with the FX-6300 due to research, people complains about overheating and expensive.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YWcDpb
Any suggestions? I am planning to build a gaming pc which is capable of handling 95% of games with smooth frames at an affordable price.

Edited by Lolfaceftw, 22 December 2017 - 07:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

This is much better and over $1 cheaper https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jKqZgL

Edited by Drillingmachine, 22 December 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:07 AM

The AMD FX series is a poor choice at the moment IMO.  You might just as well buy a Pentium G4560 for gaming - it will outperform the FX.  The Sabertooth motherboard you've chosen doesn't have a price showing.  The wired network card and sound card seem unnecessary, as the motherboard will have both of these functions.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Lolfaceftw

Lolfaceftw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:23 AM

Alright, I completely redesigned the build. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rLyn3F
It's now an Intel System. I'm still thinking whether I should go for MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard or Asus Z170 PRO GAMING

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:37 AM

There is no sense buying z170 or z270 platforms as both are obsolete and also very expensive. My system is much better.

When it comes to video cards, prices are very high now and Nvidia architecture is already over 4 years old so I wouldn't pay over $400 for it.

#6 Lolfaceftw

Lolfaceftw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

What video cards do you recommend then?

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:50 AM

Right now it's quite hard to recommend anything. On $400+ range Vega 56 would be good choice but availability is very poor. All Nvidia cards have old architecture and are not future proof.

So right now best choice would be something cheap, future proof and something with probably good re-sell value (I mean crypto miners with this one). Something like RX 570.

Another alternative is to buy something very cheap now and wait until prices calm down. It's somewhat similar situation that is right now with RAM and SSD (both ultra expensive).

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

Drillingmachine has very strong opinions and it's usually in favour of AMD...  I do agree investing in a 2 generation old Intel architecture (Skylake, 6th gen) at this point is probably not the best idea.  

I think, if you are going for very high FPS (like with a 144 hz monitor) then with a powerful GPU, this tends to be where CPU limitations come into play.  This really favours Intel still due to their higher clock speeds (vs Ryzen), and higher IPC (instructions per cycle).  If you are going to go for Intel then it makes most sense to go with the Coffee Lake (8th gen) range I think.  For example, the i3-8350K is a quad core 4 Ghz CPU, which generally can OC well beyond that with appropriate cooling, and may be a good choice for this case (as would the more expensive i5-8600K).  Don't just take my word for it - https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3106-intel-i3-8350k-review-overclocking-vs-i5-8400-r5-1600x?showall=1

If you are gaming using a 60 hz monitor and aren't gunning for sky high FPS then there would be no worries with the CPU holding you back.  A Ryzen would do nicely.  However, the GTX 1070 would probably be excessive for 1080p.  You could argue it could give more future proofing, or you could go with a GTX 1060 to save some money.

Ryzen has a definite edge in highly threaded applications, and is good value overall.  The extra threads available on the higher models are an advantage for example if you want to stream in game video.  Intel has a definite edge in single thread performance.

To summarise - if your priority is high FPS then this is a case for Intel CPU's, preferably 8th gen K series, along with a good video card capable of reaching your FPS goals.  

If you are not aiming for very high FPS with a high refresh rate monitor, then the CPU choice is less critical.  If you are going for a 60-75 hz 1080p monitor, a GTX 1070 may be a bit excessive.  It would be OK for 1440p.  You can argue it adds extra future proofing, but could be an area to cut costs. If really high FPS aren't your priority then Ryzen is probably a better value choice.  

As resolutions increase towards 4K, pretty much all games will be GPU limited, the CPU is less of a limiting factor.

Edited by jonuk76, 22 December 2017 - 09:07 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

I think, if you are going for very high FPS (like with a 144 hz monitor) then with a powerful GPU, this tends to be where CPU limitations come into play.  This really favours Intel still due to their higher clock speeds (vs Ryzen), and higher IPC (instructions per cycle).  If you are going to go for Intel then it makes most sense to go with the Coffee Lake (8th gen) range I think.  For example, the i3-8350K is a quad core 4 Ghz CPU, which generally can OC well beyond that with appropriate cooling, and may be a good choice for this case (as would the more expensive i5-8600K).  Don't just take my word for it - https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3106-intel-i3-8350k-review-overclocking-vs-i5-8400-r5-1600x?showall=1

I have another point for this. While Intel may be faster if 144 Hz is goal, you can see from that article that even overclocked Intel is barely "fast enough". And then comes the future:

Upgrade wise Intel platform is dead end. There won't be better enough (to make upgrade viable) CPU's for LGA1151 v2 ever. That's for sure. However Ryzen 2* will be much faster than current Ryzen's and AMD has promised it will fit on AM4 socket.

*I mean second generation Ryzen, not upcoming "Ryzen refresh".

So if 144 Hz is goal AMD is better choice if wanting to use same motherboard.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 22 December 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Here let me try a stab:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qbQHYr

Its actually cheaper and far more powerful then your original build idea.

Just use the Ryzen stock cooler.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 December 2017 - 10:54 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

60 Hz display don't need 1070 so with that display cheaper video card drops price even more.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:44 PM

Indeed, but its still a good avenue ass what if they get another monitor later on?

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

Monitor prices are OK, video card prices are awful. So it makes no sense buying too good video card that loses most of it's value when waiting for better monitor. So "too good" monitor is much better investment if thinking about that way.

I would buy both cheap now and replace both later.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

Well if you play your cards right you can get a decent GPU for a good price.
The issue is that some GTX1060's and the RX 580's are still high so selection isnt optimum.

I mean one can use this and be just fine:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125901&cm_re=gtx_1060-_-14-125-901-_-Product

But if one can afford a GTX 1070 I say go for it.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

That's the problem. There are only bad options right now when buying video card (or SSD or memory). I would still go with AMD card since Nvidia's are much poorer on crypto mining and so harder to sell for good price. Also due to older architecture, Nvidia cards tend to lose their value much faster (like GTX 9xx series just before 10xx series launch...).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users