Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

an undiagnosable bsod

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ahutt23

Ahutt23

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:45 AM

So im getting three different bsod screens. Roughly every 2 hours or when i move the computer.
Model: asus f.555yl.
Warranty: no
Microsoft windows 10 home.
Processor: amd a8 with radeon r5 graphics: 2.20 ghz
Ram:4.00gb 3.43 usuable
Sys type x64 os. X64 based processor
Original: yes came with windows 10 and no 3 fresh installs.
Now i get the bsod- unexpected store exception, critical process died and one other i didnt manage to catch. Ive tried using reimage plus and many other programs to find the problem resetting the system. Running dskchk with fix. Ive tried windows troubleshooter and recovery centre. Ive updated all of my drivers and everything. And ive scanned my hardware to check for faults but cant find anything at all which trust me that by itself is wierd for this computer. Ive also gone and changed a few setting to check if that would do anything but with no luck it failed. I really want to avoid taking it into the shop or opening it upas its a very solid laptop that was built not to be opened practically so any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

I'm interested to see if you've done the equivalent of a clean install.  Here's my explanation of that:

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.  You can also do this if you don't want to try another hard drive - yet you want to be able to return to the current system state.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ahutt23

Ahutt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:14 AM

Hey there so yes i did do a second fresh install from a cd. When i got the error msg after i contacted microsoft today i did get a new stop code though.kernel data inpage error. What stopped working was hidusb.sys so if this helps i dont know

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

So, the most likely cause here is a hardware, compatibility, or low-level driver issue (with the hardware being most likely).

The problem with lone BSOD's due to hardware is that they can send us off chasing things that aren't wrong.

In this case, we'd be looking at USB devices (because the hidusb.sys driver is used with USB devices) - but there's no assurance that this isn't just a random driver rather than an actual problem (as often happens with hardware problems

My suggested way to diagnose a hardware problem:

1)  Please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
    Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.
    FYI - These are the tests and what we usually see for the reports:

1 - Antivirus/antimalware scans:  In short, if there are Trojans or other serious malware - start over in the Am I Infected forums
        2 - Memory diagnostics:  Run MemTest86+ for at least 3 passes.  If booting from UEFI, run MemTest86 instead.  Let us know if there were any errors reported
        3 - Hard Drive diagnostics:  Don't sweat the details here.  In short, run the Seagate Seatools Long/Extended test from a bootable disk.  If unable to run it from a bootable disk (UEFI and some others), then run the Seagate Seatools for Windows from within Windows.  There are no diagnostics for SSD's, just run the Crystal Mark tests and let us know if there were any failures
        4 - Furmark:  run the test until the temperature stabilizes.  Don't let it get much over 90ºC.  Let us know the temp it stabilizes at and if there were any problems running the test (other than slowness).
        5 - Prime95:  run the Blend test for 24 hours (this may not be possible, but run it as long as you can.  Look for errors in the output, or for problems running the test (freezes/crashes)
        6 - Video 2 (other video tests):  there's several tests here.  Run all of them.  I'm especially interested in the Video Memory Test.  Let us know the results of the test(s)
          - A - simtek.org memtest
          - B - Video memory stress test
          - C - Artifact Locator
          - D - OCCT - 4 built in tests for CPU, GPU, PSU
          - E - Video Memory Stress Test
        7 - CPU tests:  run at least one test on your CPU and let us know the result.

2)  If all the tests pass, then try to perform a clean install of Windows:

A clean install is:
        - Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
        - The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
        - Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
        - NO 3rd party software is installed.
        - There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
        Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.  You can also do this if you don't want to try another hard drive - yet you want to be able to return to the current system state.
        One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them [:(]
        Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
        But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
        The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
        You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
        - rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
        - rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
        - so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

3)  Then, if the clean install confirms the hardware problem, try this procedure to isolate the problem device(s):  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Edited by usasma, 24 December 2017 - 10:17 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users