Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mousepad buttons and double tap suddenly not working.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FeelMeUp

FeelMeUp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

Hello all! 

About one and a half days ago I woke up and turned on my laptop. Nothing out of the ordinary like it being dropped or getting water inside happened any time this week. Within about two hours of me using it, I noticed that my left and right mousepad buttons wouldn't work and sometimes the laptop wouldn't let me type at all. 

I couldn't open my Brave or Chrome browsers(the main ones I use), but it allowed me to open the ones I don't like Edge and Firefox. 

Skip forward a little bit and I tried multiple different things. Multiple anti-virus checks, making sure I wasn't keylogged, clean the battery and check out boot settings, reinstall touchpad/mouse drivers, etc. But nothing was working.

Eventually I decided "to hell with this" and factory reset the whole thing. Now, the right touchpad button DOES work much more often than it did before the reset, but it'll still randomly die on me and make me unable to click anything. The right button(properties) doesn't work regardless of what option I switch it to, and the double tap to click feature seems to be completely disabled. 

Does anyone have any idea of what might've happened to me? I also lifted the buttons a bit and used some compressed air to maybe clean out crap that might be stuck inside, but it didn't help a thing.

Note: A mouse DID work just fine whenever I plugged it in.

My laptop in question is a Dell Latitude E7450 that was purchased about 4 years ago. The warranty just ran out, unfortunately, so I'm doing all I can to fix it without taking the thing to a shop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:20 AM

You may have an actual hardware problem; but, there is a BIOS update from August 2017 that is worth a shot:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=DVHT2
You NEED to save it somewhere and then run it which will force a reboot.  You also must have the ac adapter plugged in while you do it.

The next step would be to try things in Safe Mode.  What version of Windows is it?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 FeelMeUp

FeelMeUp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

You may have an actual hardware problem; but, there is a BIOS update from August 2017 that is worth a shot:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=DVHT2
You NEED to save it somewhere and then run it which will force a reboot.  You also must have the ac adapter plugged in while you do it.

The next step would be to try things in Safe Mode.  What version of Windows is it?

I'm on Windows 10. Got some really....weird updates for you, though.

1. It still won't let me double tap and the right click won't work, but the left click will work on the specific tab I'm on. It won't let me click other tabs, so I cycle through them with Ctrl+Tab

2. It rarely ever lets me click anything in the taskbar

3. Keyboard functionality is perfectly fine now

4. If I want to type into the search bar, I have to mash both the top and bottom left clicks until the line eventually appears after maybe 15 presses

This is easily the wackiest computer issue I've ever had. It's so oddly specific that I can't imagine what could've happened. I'll attempt the bIOS update now.

Edit: After the update I can now click through tabs without using ctrl+tab but right click still does not function at all.

Edited by FeelMeUp, 22 December 2017 - 10:33 AM.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

Have you tried it in Safe Mode?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

could be the ribbon cable that connect the mouse pad to the motherboard. maybe the locking clip came undone and the cable is not securely in place.  or it could just be bad.

#6 FeelMeUp

FeelMeUp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:10 PM

Safe mode didn't do anything either.

If the ribbon is the issue I may just bite the bullet and take it into a shop. I don't have the necessary supplies here to pop it open and check for myself.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

Those mouse pads are trouble.  Disable it and use a regular mouse.  Faults happen when ANY dirt gets lodged under the edge of the pad and the plastic bezel around it.  It can block movements, cause unintentional clicks and cursor movements.  Cleaning requires removal and wiping the edge and plastic with alcohol and reassembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users