Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista MB Running Hot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:45 PM

Hey guys, I was trying to evaluate an old goodie Dell Windows Vista pc to see if it was worth saving and maybe installing Linux on, or how long it may keep running the way it is with Vista on it.  I will post some of the Speccy info, mostly my concern is the MB is looking Very Hot!  Wish I had created the HTML Link but I did not.  If anything else is needed for an evaluation just say the word.

SMART Status is good, but I suppose I need to run a Full Dell Diagnostics arrggggg! lol

Operating System
			Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
		CPU
			Intel Pentium E5200 @ 2.50GHz	53 °C
			Wolfdale 45nm Technology
		RAM
			4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
		Motherboard
			Dell Inc. 0RY007 (Socket 775)	85 °C
		Graphics
			DELL SE198WFP (1280x768@60Hz)
			Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Dell)

Thanks, pc

Edited by pcpunk, 21 December 2017 - 07:49 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

If your tech savvy, you should take it apart and give it a good cleaning out, with some fresh thermal paste. Look into upgrading the cpu and memory and pop an SSD drive in it

Edited by Joe C, 21 December 2017 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Is it a working temperature, or idle? People report working temperatures for that CPU up to 55°C, and the threshold temperature for thermal throttling is 74°.

Like Joe C says, the general first approach would be to open the system and check if the CPU cooler fins & fan are clear or clogged, often fins and fan blades are laden with fluff and dust. Likewise for the PSU, in such systems the only path for heat extraction is often per the PSU intake/exhaust vents and fan, and other components and air paths can be covered with fluff.

It is possible the thermal paste has deteriorated with age, becoming dry and crusty.

Also, is there any temperature report available in the BIOS setup screens, to compare? Older systems often don't have such, but if it's there, it's handy to check the reporting software is giving the same reading, and not mis-reporting temperatures.

Edited by Platypus, 21 December 2017 - 08:55 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:27 PM

If your tech savvy, you should take it apart and give it a good cleaning out, with some fresh thermal paste. Look into upgrading the cpu and memory and pop an SSD drive in it

No Upgrades Joe, this is a customer/friends computer that we want to squeeze a little more life out of with either Vista or Linux.  It is running fine as I can tell all but the MB Temps.  Unfortunately I've never run into Hight MB Temps.  I wonder if this is a False Positive by Speccy?  If Thermal Paste was a concern wouldn't the CPU be the one overheating?

Thanks for the help

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

Is it a working temperature, or idle? People report working temperatures for that CPU up to 55°C, and the threshold temperature for thermal throttling is 74°.

Like Joe C says, the general first approach would be to open the system and check if the CPU cooler fins & fan are clear or clogged, often fins and fan blades are laden with fluff and dust. Likewise for the PSU, in such systems the only path for heat extraction is often per the PSU intake/exhaust vents and fan, and other components and air paths can be covered with fluff.

It is possible the thermal paste has deteriorated with age, becoming dry and crusty.

Also, is there any temperature report available in the BIOS setup screens, to compare? Older systems often don't have such, but if it's there, it's handy to check the reporting software is giving the same reading, and not mis-reporting temperatures.

1. It was at Idle, but just after Updating a few things and Installing Avast.

2.  I will give her a thorough check next time there.  I figure it is Really dusty at it's age, but just have no experience with MB overheating.  I guess this is my biggest Uncertainty as I don't have experience with this, and seems logical that the CPU would also be hotter? hmmm.  

3. I would have thought the cpu would show hotter if the Thermal Paste was bad.

4. Ahharrrgggg lol, I didn't have time to check Temps in BIOS.  That is a good point and wish I had more time to do that when I was there.  I will refer to this Thread when I get ahold of that beautiful old Dell 531S!  I love those things.  It is her number two backup pc, but is better than her newer (but very weak W7 pc that Upgraded to 10) and she loves the older one, and I don't blame her.  I'll bet a E5800 would make that thing sing, especially with Linux on it.

Thanks very much guys!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:57 PM

The discrepancy with the MB temperature certainly leads to the suspicion that the temp is being misread, or misreported.

Being misread can be due to the diagnostic software not reading the temperature report from the sensor chip correctly, which is where a BIOS readout is a handy cross check.

Being misreported can occasionally be due to a fault such as bad electrolytic capacitors on the mainboard or PSU, or both. Bad temperature readings can show as a first symptom due to hash on a supply rail, before it has begun to affect other functions.

If the CPU temperature was always at 50-odd, and went much higher when worked hard, that would indicate it's being poorly cooled, unless it's a false reading. However if 55 or so is the highest it goes, and when first started up or after doing nothing for 10 minutes it's down in say the mid 40's (depending on room temperature), that would seem normal.

Edited by Platypus, 21 December 2017 - 09:59 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

Thanks again, I will try to get a hold of the pc to do more diagnostics.  If it fails anything probably won't waste time with it, but will try all suggestions here.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:34 AM

I only mentioned the cpu upgrade because you can get an E8500 Core 2 Duo (3.16ghz) for that board for less than $10. on ebay, Makes for a very cheap upgrade

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS2&_nkw=E8500+Core+2+Duo&_sacat=0

looks to be about a 30% gain over that E5200 chip, with no increase in wattage

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/384/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E8500_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E5200.html

about your board temp, try running Hardware Info, it will give you all the temps you need including the board, use the free version

https://www.hwinfo.com/

Edited by Joe C, 22 December 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:41 AM

Agreed Joe, but this is not my pc, and is the backup so she don't want to spend anymore money on it than necessary. I told her to call when she makes a decision.  If it dies I'll probably get it also, the will see if I can repair cheaply.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users