Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compy having major slowdowns

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 qualiyah

qualiyah

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

Greetings, lovely people.

I'm running Windows 7. Within the last couple of weeks, the computer started running really badly. It will sometimes just churn away not doing what I want (when all I was trying to do was open Word or Firefox) for 5 minutes or more. Most of the time it eventually sort itself out and run fairly well for awhile...but with frequent smaller pauses. It hasn't been completely crashing, but it's driving me crazy.

I don't have any major programs running in the background--I try to keep that crap to a minimum. I ran rkill and Malwarebytes, but it found nothing suspicious, and I've seen no other signs of malware either. I updated Windows.

Could anyone recommend next steps to me for figuring out what's wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

We need more information about your system than what you've provided. Hence, please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink: Make sure you run the hardware diagnostics requested in the last step.

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

P.S. Even if your computer isn't blue screening, please still do the above.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 null__

null__

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

You could try disabling Superfetch. I've had quite a few computers run a lot better after doing so.

#4 qualiyah

qualiyah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

Thank you for the quick response!

I tried running Sysnative BSOD Collection App twice (once from the desktop, once from "My Documents" folder) and it didn't work. Both times, it brought up a little black box, and sat there for awhile, and then I got an error message saying "Diagnostic Logfile Collection has stopped working." Suggestions?

And here's my information from Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5cYL0WWmdawBDv0q8cgJQhp

Edited by qualiyah, 21 December 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

Replace SFCA with: https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe In other words, run BSOD Inspector in its place.

Speccy shows your Seagate HDD's S.M.A.R.T. indication as "Warning." This does not necessarily mean your hard disk is failing, but it is fair to suppose that it is, especially with your symptoms. After backing up your data immediately, please run SeaGate SeaTools for Windows. The Short Drive Self Test and Long Generic test will suffice; if the former one fails, do not continue with the latter one.

Edited by bwv848, 21 December 2017 - 01:51 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 qualiyah

qualiyah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

Thank you for the help!

I have backed up all my data.

I'm attaching the zip file that BSOD Inspector produced.

The Short Drive test did fail. :-( This is the log it produced:

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.6 ---------------
12/21/2017 1:32:10 PM
Model Number: ST9500420AS
Serial Number: 5VJBWXEJ
Firmware Revision: 0002SDM1
Short DST - Started 12/21/2017 1:32:10 PM
Short DST - FAIL 12/21/2017 1:33:00 PM
SeaTools Test Code: 9FDBE2EF

Attached Files

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

Forgot that the SDST is actually a S.M.A.R.T. test too, so obviously it failed. :blush: On the other hand, the BSOD you received Monday, a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR one, explicitly blamed your hard disk (the 0xc0000185 error status of the second parameter indicates so):

2: kd> .bugcheck
Bugcheck code 0000007A
Arguments fffff6fc`500a4388 ffffffff`c0000185 00000000`35eb0880 fffff8a0`14871000

So it's fair to conclude that your hard disk has gone kaput, especially with the general slowness and S.M.A.R.T. warnings; however if you want to be absolutely sure, feel free to run the Long Generic test, disregarding my previous instructions. But keep in mind that if the hard disk is already in trouble it may make the situation worse … it's your call.

Edit: Just looked through your Event Log and saw a plethora of paging errors, another bad sign.

Edited by bwv848, 21 December 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#8 qualiyah

qualiyah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

I think I'd better not run the Long test; I'd like to preserve what usability I have until I can get it fixed.

So, barring that, it sounds like the only realistic option is to have the hard drive replaced.

If so, at least now I can go to the computer shop knowing what exactly I need, and that's a comfort. Thank you so much for your time. :)

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

No problem! Always welcome! If you're daring enough you can execute the hard disk replacement by yourself — it's not very hard.

Edited by bwv848, 21 December 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#10 qualiyah

qualiyah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

I'd almost be tempted to try that, but since I bought my laptop used with Windows already installed, I don't have a copy of Windows 7 to install onto the new hard drive. I'm hoping that if I take it back to the same place I bought it, they'll be able to re-install Windows 7 onto it after changing the hard drive without me having to pay for a brand new copy of software I already have. We'll see. :-/

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

Hi,

You certainly don't need to purchase a new copy of Windows, i.e., you can reinstall Windows at home. I am no expert in reinstallations, so try posting in the Windows 7 forums for more advice — they will be able to guide you through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users