Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice needed please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sjensen1

sjensen1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

I panicked yesterday thinking I was having a hard disk failure when I heard some clicking, so I stuck in a new hard drive and installed Windows 7 on it, then spent the rest of the day downloading and installing all the updates and drivers. As it turned out, I don't have a failing hard disk, the clicking I heard was from a failing DVD writer, and now I have this 2nd hard disk that's got Windows 7 on it. I haven't activated the license yet, and I'm wondering should I reformat it to "delete" Windows 7 on it, thereby sparing my activation key, and then I could just clone my drive to it if I fear drive failure in the future?

Also, this new drive I got is a 3TB SATA drive, and my old drive is 2TB, and I wasn't aware of the issue Windows has with reading anything larger than 2TB. I was able to find an article on how to set up a drive so that Windows will read and access all 3 TBs, but now I'm wondering if Windows will insist that I need 2TB of space to clone a drive that is only using 300GB of space? My thought is to allocate 1TB for one partition, and 2TB for another, and I was thinking to use the 1TB  for the clone, and the 2TB for storage. Will this work?

(And why am I not just backing up the drive instead of cloning? That's because in my limited knowledge, I think it's the only way to preserve the software that I no longer have installation disks or activation keys for)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

Sooo...you have a working hard drive which you thought was bad (erroneously) and you have a 3TB drive acquired as a replacement.

Me, I would just use my old hard drive as my Windows drive...and use the 3TB drive strictly for storage, after deleting any partitions I had created erroneously (using Disk Management from the Windows install on the old drive.

If you don't need 3TB of storage...I would not worry about the new drive capacity and just create a storage partition of 2TB or less on that drive.

Windows XP and older versions of Windows...are the ones which have a problem with large hard drives.  Win 7 has none.  The use of GPT as opposed to MBR...is just a byproduct of technical changes in hard drive technology, IMO.

Reading Material.

Louis

#3 sjensen1

sjensen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

Windows XP and older versions of Windows...are the ones which have a problem with large hard drives.  Win 7 has none.  The use of GPT as opposed to MBR...is just a byproduct of technical changes in hard drive technology, IMO.

Are you saying Win 7 doesn't have this problem because it's possible to use GPT? Or that it doesn't have that problem with large non-partitioned disks? I discovered Windows had a problem with large hard drives because when I checked the drive properties, it saw it as being only 1.99 TB (I didn't add partitions when I installed Win 7, but I think Win 7 does a little partition on its own for protected operating files). But otherwise on the 3TB drive, should I reformat the drive to delete Windows? Or is it ok to activate Windows on the 3TB drive even if it's used for storage?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

If you read the link I posted...you will see that it's not what I say that matters...it's what MS says.

A 32-bit version of Win 7...you will see that some exceptions are noted for that version.

There is no advantage at all...for placing an active O/S on a hard drive used for storage.  An active O/S only has value when it is booted into...and only one version of Windows can be booted into at any single time.  I have XP, Win 7, and Win 10 all installed on the same drive...I can only boot into 1 at any given point in time.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users