Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window 7 Professional sounds like it is trying to downlaod something and slower

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tunedport64

Tunedport64

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

I have done a lot of reading...tried a few things...no virus or issue that I can determine..EMISOFT and SuperAnti, system clean, basic task bar and start up review..nothing seems wrong. PC is very very clean from my point of view. It sound like it is trying to download something and sometimes I can get it to stop by rebooting. Almost think is has something to do with FIREFOX or an update of some type. I installed more RAM a few months ago and even adjusted the paging and all that...still happens. CPU goes to 100% when this happens which is most of the time..The PC however worked fine..It could be getting slower but not really..then again..I am so confused...any thoughts out there as to what I might be able to research and or do?

Edited by Tunedport64, 21 December 2017 - 09:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

You should use the Windows Task Manager or better Process Explorer to check what is using the CPU at 100%

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Tunedport64

Tunedport64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

What I see in Processes is 4 firefox.exe files with 3 of them huge in size...140,000, 182,000, and 214,000 with all the other items being all in the 20,000 to 40,0000 range. There are 51 processes running and I understand most of them if not all..

#4 Tunedport64

Tunedport64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

Of course I rebooted and now it is not doing it..just before I posted...but it will come back if I open certain apps and let them run for the day then shut them down.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

What I see in Processes is 4 firefox.exe files with 3 of them huge in size...140,000, 182,000, and 214,000 with all the other items being all in the 20,000 to 40,0000 range. There are 51 processes running and I understand most of them if not all..

I would say that memory usage is normal for Firefox.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 hoverdave

hoverdave

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

Just as an update to this thread, Tunedport64's secondary hard drive was dying. I've been helping him elsewhere and a drive scan revealed the culprit. Hopefully fresh scan I've asked for will run quite a bit faster, without any strange noises!

#7 Tunedport64

Tunedport64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

Final findings...after taking a Newsweek for the holidays I came back ready to solve my noise issue. In the end I was turned towards try Seagate and Western Digital scanning tools to see if the drive where actually good even though every test prior showed AOK...nope..not the case...my main file storage drive is failing...to many bad sectors to complete a full scan....lesson learned..come armed with tools and start with the basics..of course with the right tools..Thank you David B. for guiding me towards the solution.

#8 hoverdave

hoverdave

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Any time. You know where to find me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users