Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux browser search problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pavle96333

pavle96333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:57 AM

I just installed Linux, but every time I type something in browser and press enter, search results shows for just a second and then browser takes me back to homepage. I tried Mozilla and Tor, but every time it's the same thing. I'm using Vector Linux.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

Welcome to BC....

Can you successfully enter and complete a search at Google's search home page....Goo gle?

Vector has an active forum you could check with to see if other Vector users are experiencing the same problem.

VectorLinux - Index

EDIT: What is the default search engine...if you know?

Is this problem happening from day one of the install or something new?

Edited by buddy215, 21 December 2017 - 10:17 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

Vector linux?

Not a linux for beginners.

I would use linux mint instead.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 pavle96333

pavle96333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

In Mozilla search engine is Mozila, in Tor is DuckDuckGo.

When I type google and press enter page with search results apears just for a second and then takes me back to start page (Mozilla or DuckDuckGo).

It's happening from day one.

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

So why not change your home page to Google via Menu->Preferences, on the first tab?

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

The default Firefox/ Mozilla search engine today is Google Search.

If you click on this...Google....it will take you to Google Search page. Are you able to enter a search term there and does Google

offer search results? If so, then like Mike says...make that page your home page if you haven't done so. I use a blank home page

and a bookmark in my Bookmarks tool bar to reach that page. I can do a search from the address bar, too. Using Ubuntu...that distro you use likely

has some problem that the forum I linked to may help you with without reinstalling the distro or another distro.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

Vector linux?

Not a linux for beginners.

I would use linux mint instead.

+1! :thumbup2:

If coming from Windows, Linux Mint as about as easy as it gets coming into the World of Linux, with Cinnamon version being most popular at this time for computers that shipped with Windows 7 or newer. :)

While anything's possible, first time I've heard of what you're describing coming from a Linux distro, if you were running Windows, would be directing you to the 'Am I Infected' line. :P

Although Vector Linux looks to be a popular distro based on high number of Topics & many posts within, am getting a 'Not Secure' warning to the left of the Google URL bar (have reloaded page no less than 5 times), same in Private Browser window, My only two security extensions are Adblock Plus & uBlock Origin on Google Chrome, so don't see why what appears to be a popular site would be showing this. Maybe Google is doing this intentionally, they prefer inclusion for their 'AdSense' program, some sites doesn't want nor care to participate, or there may be other reasons Google is throwing the flag, such as an invalid certificate. 

At any rate, I close these Web pages ASAP, am on W10 at the moment & don't want to become infected. :)

Not secure: Proceed with caution. Something is severely wrong with the privacy of this site’s connection. Someone might be able to see the information you send or get through this site.

You might see a "Login not secure" or "Payment not secure" message.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95617?hl=en

This stated, I agree with MadmanRB, Linux Mint is a very popular distro that attracts a lot of newbies to Linux, easy to learn & run, am headed towards my 9th year of running the distro. :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

In Mozilla search engine is Mozila, in Tor is DuckDuckGo.

When I type google and press enter page with search results apears just for a second and then takes me back to start page (Mozilla or DuckDuckGo).

It's happening from day one.

In Mozilla search engine is Google. Try a more newby-friendly OS such as Linux Mint.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:40 AM

I agree with Rocky, Linux Mint is an excellent distro built upon Ubuntu with some added features. :)

While Cinnamon & MATE are their most popular distros, there's also Xfce for low powered systems (although MATE uses hardly no more & fully featured), as well as KDE, which will be dropped soon, and finally LMDE, their Debian edition. The latter is Linux Mint's fallback edition in case Ubuntu becomes forked or a proprietary distro, these days, anything's possible. 

Depending on your hardware, I suggest MATE or Cinnamon, Xfce if a low powered computer. The latter allows one to add only what's needed. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users