Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resolution Is Muffed Up?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

I am trying to install the single cd version of Mandriva 2006. But, when I start it up, the resolution goes bonkers and goes to something very low. I cant read any of the instructions because they are way too big. I can't really change the resolution on my monitor. Does anyone know what to do?
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

hi ryan... i was just about to reply in your other thread but i see you have already started. to answer this question there are boot options that you can enter before the cd starts to run. you need to press one of the function keys to see what options you can enter. i'm not sure probably f1 for help, or f2 for boot options. you will type something like resolution = 800x600. sorry i can't explain it exactly. i'm pretty new myself.

one thing about linux. not all distros work on all computers. there are many different live cd's to try out and see which one works best on your machine. mandriva is considered one of the best but that doesn't guarantee it will work.

some things to do before installing are to backup your current windows, clean your windows caches and defragment the disk before installing linux.

mandriva is about the best at partitioning. it uses a program called diskdrake. it will resize your windows partition and create the necessary partitions for mandriva. just select the correct option during the install. it should say something like use free space on hda1. it will then resize windows and create the necessary partitions for linux. linux needs 3 partitions; root, swap, and home.

here's a good walk thru. don't follow it exactly just use it for a guide. there's lots of options. and make sure you remember what passwords you enter.
http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/installmdv2006.html

hth

Edited by cybormoron, 26 September 2006 - 08:25 PM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#3 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:25 PM

I tried your solution, but it won't let me do what you were talking about. I tried disabling my pcie video card and going with the integrated, but that didn't work either. I am new to linux and just don't know what to do.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users