Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help creating a new "restore point earlier than those listed.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wonderman

Wonderman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:18 PM

I was using windows live mail (which is no longer supported or available.)  I used Avast Cleaner and it damaged the program that in such a way that it will no longer open. I get the message that it is damaged or corrupt.  If I could go back to a "restore point" of 11/29/2017 the problem would be solved and I could save valuable data in "Calendar" and "contacts" files.  It could save years of accumulating data I can't duplicate.  Also another problem has happened since the cleaning:  My curser jumps backward when I am entering text anywhere in the system (even in writing this memo) or word processing.

Edited by Wonderman, 20 December 2017 - 10:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:39 AM

It sounds to me that you are asking if a real time machine exists. Unfortunately with the second law of thermodynamics being what it is, that time machine just does not exist (yet). But the data files are another thing altogether. What disc or partition do you keep the data files on? We might be able to help you retrieve your data files. Also, your contacts and calander information might be stored in the cloud. Microsoft uses the cloud for all of that data that is why whenever you perform a clean install of any OS all of that data is still there.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:46 AM

You can add a current dated restore point, but you can't create a restore point prior to the current date.

By the way, the second law of Thermodynamics proves that there is entropy (energy dispersal) in the universe, because this exists time travel is impossible as we know it. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Windows restore points only restore critical windows files and not files used by other programs.

I have used CCleaner and Avast for years and have never seen either of them damage another program.

What happens when you try to start Windows Live Mail?

If you are getting an error message please post it exactly

In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Wonderman

Wonderman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

I used "Avast Cleaner.  when I first used it, the program "live mail" gave me the error message "Windows Live Mail could not be started.  It may  not be installed correctly. Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are running out of memory."  Disk not full nor am I running out of memory.  I suspected that the problem lay with the Cleaner so I did a restore from the Microsoft tool which gave me a date of 11/29/17.  Upon doing this, the program worked OK.  I thought that now I could safely use the Cleaner so I tried using it again with the same results.  Only, this time when I went back to get the discovery point, it was not there for 11/29/17 so I couldn't use it to solve the problem.  I found out too late that the restore points are deleted for all previous restore points except the last date (which for me is useless.)  All of my important "contact" and "Calendar" files are now irretrievable which puts me at risk of utilizing all of the appoints I have made for my "at home" business as well as deleting critical appointments and tasks for the future.

#6 Wonderman

Wonderman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

I don't know how to access the cloud properly.  when I have tried, I get the message that there is nothing there for me. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

#7 -Ruan

-Ruan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

Wonderman,

Try a repair from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/42715.aspx

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/repairing-windows-live-mail-windows-7-64922.html

If that fails try reinstalling Windows Live Mail over the top of your present installation.

you can download it from the link below.

https://filehippo.com/download_windows_live_mail/

Best of luck.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Click on Start to open the Start menu.

Type Services in the search box, press the Enter key.

When Services opens scroll down to the Windows Live ID sign-in assistant service and double click on it.

You will see a image similar to the one below with Startup type: and Service status: outlined in red.

Attached File  services2.PNG   117.38KB   0 downloads

The Startup type: should be set to Automatic

If the Startup type is not set correctly click the down arrow to open the Startup options and select the correct one.

The Service statis: should be set to Started

If this is not set to Started click on Start.

If either of these has been changed click Apply, then OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

Windows restore points only restore critical windows files and not files used by other programs.

I have used CCleaner and Avast for years and have never seen either of them damage another program.

What happens when you try to start Windows Live Mail?

If you are getting an error message please post it exactly

I'm not sure about Avast "Cleaner" but the earlier "GrimeFighter", previously known as Jumpshot before avast purchased it, was a disaster of major proportions. It would put the computer to "sleep" using linux and grub to clean the computer and then would boot back into Windows but many times after a clean the computer would not boot or the internet connection would be gone. In fact, on a clean install of Windows Grimefighter would warn that "Grime" was on the computer and needed to be cleaned. Personally, I stay away from anything with the words "avast clean". 

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2017 - 10:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users