Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High pitch frequency from speakers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sfdxsm

sfdxsm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hello All! First post but trying to solve a long running issue. I consider this to be an internal hardware problem that I just wanted to see what direction makes the most sense before I pull everything out of my case.

I've had a high pitched frequency/noise coming from my external speakers for a while now. It reminds me of an LED bulb/lightbulb about to blow. You can hear it pretty far from the speakers but it's high enough people not sensitive to it don't really notice. I'll list my components below but I've swapped out the following so far: new case with new cable management, new speakers, new sound card, re-seated CPU/memory, moved the location of the PC across the room, moved to a new electrical plug with different surge protector setup, changed out the cables for the modular PSU, and moved/relocated anything that may be causing interference.

I build the PC and the only two other possibilities I can think of are the PSU or motherboard may be causing the issue. I'm leaning to the mobo but haven't decided which I want to try and replace after investing in other pieces.

Components:

Mobo: Asus Z97-Pro

CPU: Devil's Canyon i7-4790k (stock clock)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212

RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 (stock timings)

Optical: Samsung Blu Ray Writer

Video: EVGA 780 Dual FTW (I have a new EVGA 1080 coming tomorrow)

Network: ASUS 4x4 802.11AC Wireless-AC3100 PCIe Adapter (new)

Hard Drives: Crucial M4 SSD, Intel 730 SSD, Samsung 850 Pro SSD, WD - easystore 8TB External HD

Sound: ASUS PCI-Express x1 7.1 PCI-e card (new)

PSU: Corsair Pro Series HX650 650W

Speakers: Logitech z623 2.1 system (new)

USB headset: Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Alpha USB Headset

I've had this problem using a Logitech z313 setup on using the on-board sound card. I moved to the z623 set up still with on-board sound and the problem persisted. I moved then to the PCI-e sound card and yet still the problem existed. I tried a different external sound card (Soundblaster card) and problem existed. I started to determine it must be a grounding or electrical problem. This is when I moved the set up into the new Corsair case. My original PCI-e wifi card was old so I replaced that as well.

The problem does NOT exist when I use my USB headset. The noise does seem to go away or sound slightly different once sound is being played (music specifically). It's still noticeable playing saying Battlefield 4.

I have two components left to replace (outside of the memory or CPU); PSU or motherboard. The mobo is from 2014. The PSU is from 2011. If I am going to replace either component, it'll be with an upgrade so the next investment isn't small to test out options. I don't have any extra components that will support my current system to test with. Any thoughts are most appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:00 AM

Have you tried different speakers yet? get a cheap pair of speakers (possibly borrow from a friend) and see if the high pitch still there. There is such a thing as coil whine and to determine that, just unplug your speakers. If you still hear it then it's not your audio system

Edited by Joe C, 21 December 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#3 sfdxsm

sfdxsm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

Have you tried different speakers yet? get a cheap pair of speakers (possibly borrow from a friend) and see if the high pitch still there. There is such a thing as coil whine and to determine that, just unplug your speakers. If you still hear it then it's not your audio system

Hi Joe, yes. I originally had a Logitech z313 2.1 system with the same issue. Bought a new z623 2.1 set up and same problem.

When I unplug my speakers from the PC (single 3.5m cable) the noise is still there but much, much quieter. More like low static or a carbonated soda. Then eventually gets high pitched/loud after some time. I tried a different outlet directly from the wall to isolate any other interference. The noise also stays when the PC is powered down.

Basically, I'm starting to notice that the speakers simply seem to have interference noise from Logitech. Maybe I need to try a better system with stronger shielding.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

External speakers can pick up interference from power cords and adapters.   Audio cables are shielded but most USB cables are not. 

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:45 AM

Does the noise vary, for example with disk activity or things changing on the screen?

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users