Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My new computer not recognising wireless signals.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 juampabonilaa1

juampabonilaa1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

I bought a new Dell computer with Windows 10 (core i7, fast processing speeds, Large RAM and Hard drive) and it turns out it does not have (or recognise somehow) wireless signals. When I try to troubleshoot the problem is says that no ethernet cable is plugged in (i.e. it automatically assumes that the only way to connect to the internet is through an ethernet cable). I tried all the instructions online and nothing has worked. 

For example, when I go to Network and setting and then network connections (from the side bar) many online forums say to turn off the ethernet and the wifi and then turn on the wifi only. The problem with my computer is that I only see an ethernet option. 

Something else I noticed is that it says "Your PC or mobile device doesn't support Miracast, so it can't project wirelessly" Not sure if this has anything to do with the lack of Wifi connection. 

I am actually quite shocked that I would pay so much for a computer that cannot connect to the Internet via Wifi. 

In any case, if said problem cannot be fixed what is it that I have to purchase to establish a wireless connection from my desktop computer to my modem/router. I was looking at wireless USB adapters, is this the correct hardware? 

I would really appreciate any help as this computer is for business purposes.  

P.s. : Let me know if you need more details. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

What is the model number of the Dell? Open Device Manager. Do you see both Wifi and Ethernet adapters listed under Network Adapters?

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

Hi,

Please post the machine Service Tag.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 juampabonilaa1

juampabonilaa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

John-C all I see is ethernet connection and a lot of WAN miniports. 

Sleepy Dude the machine Service Tag number is G53L522 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:21 PM

Here is your support site. I could not find anything in the list saying you have a wifi adapter included. What OS are you running, Windows 10?

#6 juampabonilaa1

juampabonilaa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

Well thank you I will try that. Yeah Windows 10. This can't be common right? A computer without wireless connection is just strange. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

From the specs it looks like you have USB 3.0 ports in the back. These would be blue. Also the service tag said the country of origin was Australia. Your gateway/router speed would determine what USB dongle to get. If you have an AC router/gateway there are USB 3.0 dongles on Ebay Australia. Below is just an example.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC1200-High-Power-USB-AC-Wireless-WiFi-Adapter-Long-Range-802-11AC-5dBi-Antenna/172858183737?epid=2176304037&hash=item283f269039:g:Ge0AAOSwKBVZs7qB

Otherwise you would most likely have n wifi speeds on the router. 

Get one that is compatible with Windows 10

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/USB-Wi-Fi-Adapters-Dongles/45002?Network%2520Connectivity=Wireless%252DWi%252DFi%2520802%252E11n&rt=nc

Edit: Possibly there is no wifi adapter because this is a Dell small form factor. Some desktops do have them but I don't think it's that common. You would either see an antenna on the back or if you opened the case you would see a small Wifi card connected to the motherboard with antenna wires attached.

Edit Edit. See the below page showing the Wifi card. If you do open the computer to check make sure you ground yourself on some bare metal first. Because you do not see a Wifi adapter in Device Manager I doubt you have one. Note the Wifi antenna puck. If you do not have this then you do not have a wifi card if your computer is small form factor.

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/optiplex-9020-desktop/opt9020sffom-v2/removing-the-wireless-local-area-network-(wlan)-card?guid=guid-e29498ab-20a7-4e4b-8d8d-7432a544d9de&lang=en-us

Below is an image of the Wifi antenna puck. If you do not have this connected to the back of the computer, if it's a small form factor, then you don't have wifi.

RU297r1.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 December 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#8 juampabonilaa1

juampabonilaa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:50 PM

Alright JohnC-21 thank you for your time. We bought a temporary ethernet cable. Now we will consider the best adapter. If there is a way to increase your 'reputation' or whatever this site runs on let me know. 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

Alright JohnC-21 thank you for your time. We bought a temporary ethernet cable. Now we will consider the best adapter. If there is a way to increase your 'reputation' or whatever this site runs on let me know. 

Your Welcome,

Nothing like that at BC. Just knowing I helped is good enough for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users