Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How long will Moazilla support Firefox ESR?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

I'm thinking about switching to Firefox ESR and not a 100% sure how long Mozilla will support it. According to this it looks like it will have support until May of 2018: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/ So how long will Mozilla support Firefox ESR for?

Oops I meant to put this under Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications.

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2017 - 05:54 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved from Gen Chat to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

ESR will continue to be developed into the foreseeable future. Note: This will not let you get out of using Firefox Quantum which some people hate. That will arrive when ESR 52.9.0 is no longer supported at which point you will get ESR 60.1.0 or later.

Mozilla Firefox ESR is meant for organizations that manage their client desktops, including schools, businesses and other institutions that want to offer Firefox.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

ESR will continue to be developed into the foreseeable future. Note: This will not let you get out of using Firefox Quantum which some people hate. That will arrive when ESR 52.9.0 is no longer supported at which point you will get ESR 60.1.0 or later.

Mozilla Firefox ESR is meant for organizations that manage their client desktops, including schools, businesses and other institutions that want to offer Firefox.

So I know Firefox ESR is at version 52.5.2 (inside Virtualbox). So version 52.9.0 will arrive on June 2018 if I understand correctly? And I have to get a new PPA for Firefox ESR on Linux Mint with version 60.1.0 or later right?

If so then I'm probably better off installing version 57.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

So I know Firefox ESR is at version 52.5.2 (inside Virtualbox). So version 52.9.0 will arrive on June 2018 if I understand correctly? And I have to get a new PPA for Firefox ESR on Linux Mint with version 60.1.0 or later right?

If so then I'm probably better off installing version 57.

Correct, you you need to get a new PPA for ESR and you wish to stick with Firefox then bite the bullet and go with Quantum v57

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

As much as I hate to say it my best bet is to probably go with Firefox Quantum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users