Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS 10..WINDOWS DID NOT CLOSE CORRECTLY

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:21 AM

I am not sure hat is happening.

I had an ADOBE FLASH PLAYER update and right after my computer froze and then I got a message that I had to restart

Once it restarted I received a message saying OPERATING SYSTEM DID NOT SHUT DOWN CORRECTLY.

So I restarted it again.

Since then I get a BLUE screen that keeps saying my OPERATING SYSTEM DID NOT SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY....I am not even sure what this means or how it happens.

My computer cycles itself around multiple times restarting on its own after saying MY COMPUTER HAS RUN INTO A PROBLEM..

Other messages will automatically appear saying IT NEEDS TO REPAIR THE COMPUTER and then appears to do so.

Problem now is my computer get to the splash screen, then the desktop screen with all the icons showing. I can initiate the OPERA app or any other app and get online for a very short period of time and then the BLUE screen appears with the same message of MY OPERATING SYSTEM DID NOT SHUT DOWN PROPERLY, and begins a endless cycling of restarts.

After a while I get to an ADVANCED REPAIR PAGE, where I have trie everything from SYSTEM RESTORE to SAFEBOOT.

The installation disk is not working or allowed to work because not long after I insert it, the computer starts cycling RESTART over and over.

I received a message that says DIGITAL SIGNATURE FOR THIS FILE CAN NOT BE VERIFIED.... ERROR CODE Oxc0000428

Then another message another time that says WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\BFADI.SYS with ERROR CODE of Ox000021

Is there help I can get to repair this?

Is there a recovery disk that hopefully will work and stop the constant RESTARTING problem

Thanks for any help offered.

(I am using another computer to send this message and even it is on its last legs being 10 YEARS OLD. The problem one HP Elitebook, was purchased this year)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:18 PM

Turn off the computer, unplug the power adapter from the computer, remove the battery, press and hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Reinstall the battery and power adapter, then start the computer. 

Edited by dc3, 20 December 2017 - 12:18 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

Turn off the computer, unplug the power adapter from the computer, remove the battery, press and hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Reinstall the battery and power adapter, then start the computer. 

Thanks for the help TREE HUGGER

Tried your method and unfortunately it did not work.

I did as you said three times in hopes one of them would resolve the issue.

I not only turned the computer off, removed power cord, removed the battery and held the power button for 30 seconds... I held the button for a full minute just in case and left the battery out for hours

Upon powering the computer up I received yet another BLUE SCREEN ERROR CODE Oxc0000221 and a File:\windows\system32\driver\elxfcoe.sys

I am not sure if the operating system is breaking down with all of these differing error codes I keep getting...this windows 10 is certainly living up to the problem they said it would have. I have only had this computer a few months and already problems.

The one I am using is 10 years old and still working with Windows 7 as a matter of fact the computer itself is falling apart, but the OS is still working

Any other remedy you may have i would appreciate it...Thanks

Edited by HERCULES1X, 20 December 2017 - 09:46 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:15 AM

Please do the following.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

O7p5cKL.png

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

VoWZmo6.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

Not that dc3's advice is not solid, but there may be an easier option if your version of Windows 10 is not already updated to 1709.

If you are on Version 1703 or earlier you can follow the advice for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.   If your machine simply won't boot you can also still use this method, but booting from the bootable install media and making the same choice shown for the default installation of Windows 10.

If this is an option, and if it works (and I've had it work on several machines now), you can save yourself the extra effort of having to reinstall all of the desktop apps (formerly known as application programs) and store apps you may have installed on the machine.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

Please do the following.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

O7p5cKL.png

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

VoWZmo6.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Hello TREE HUGGER

I can not even get to this point.

Pressing the WINDOWS key and 'I' key had no effect in getting me to the SETTINGS WINDOW to even attempt at correcting teh probllem as you suggested.

The computer will not stop RESTARTING or RESPONDING to any commands.

Oddly after so many restarts I get a message that says ANALYZING COMPUTER, then REPAIRING COMPUTER, then I am taken to a page of ADVANCE REPAIR OPTIONS or something similar to that.

Options of SYSTEM RESTORE, ROLL BACK TO OLDER VERSION, COMMAND PROMPT, etc is listed.

I tried SYSTEM RESTORE and the computer showed a system restore progress bar that went on for hours (7 hours) only to tell me it can not restore the computer.

I tried the Rollback option...wouldn't allow the roll back feature

I even became desperate and even tried the WINDOWS REINSTALL option...NADA

A friend of mine has a EASY RECOVER ESSENTIALS PRO disc, which I tried and it seemed to be doing a fantastic job of restoring the computer. It analyzed the OS and began making repairs, but then stopped and showed a message that my operating system was too new. The disc my friend had was about two years old, so something about this latest WINDOWS 10 I have was "foreign" to it and it could only progress but so far.

So I am back to the same dilemma of a constantly restarting system, that doesn't seem to leave me with options to repair it.

I also tried installing a WINDOWS 8.1 OS on the computer all of which seemed to be going fine installation wise. I thought I would be able to partition the disc and add the WINDOWS 8 to that segment, which would allow me to get my files off of the computer and then I would be able to install WINDOWS 8 again, this time removing WINDOWS 10 all together.

Unfortunately after the computer ran through the whole process of initiating the installation process and just before actually accomplishing it, I got a message that WINDOWS IS SHUTTING DOWN TO PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER...UGH!! says Charlie Brown... So I can not get a new operating system on a new partition.

So now I need another plan B/C/D/E/F until something works

#7 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:59 AM

Not that dc3's advice is not solid, but there may be an easier option if your version of Windows 10 is not already updated to 1709.

If you are on Version 1703 or earlier you can follow the advice for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.   If your machine simply won't boot you can also still use this method, but booting from the bootable install media and making the same choice shown for the default installation of Windows 10.

If this is an option, and if it works (and I've had it work on several machines now), you can save yourself the extra effort of having to reinstall all of the desktop apps (formerly known as application programs) and store apps you may have installed on the machine.

After trying TREE HUGGERS advice I managed to get no where... Not because his advice was wrong, but because whatever is going on with my computer overrides his advice.

I downloaded the UPDATING WINDOWS 10 ISO file you recommended... Saved it to a flash drive Attempted rebooting and reinstalling WINDOWS in this fashion and also saving my files, applications etc and wouldn't you know, that is not working either.

I will try installing it again not as a FLASH DRIVE file, but as a DVD this time an see if it makes a difference.

Seems my only option is going o be to get rid of the herd drive and buy a new one just so i can put a OS on it....RIDICULOUS

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,510 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

You can always do a clean install of Windows 10 on any machine on which it has previously been installed and legally activated.

You can simply nuke your drive or let the Windows installer do it.

You say that what dc3 and I have recommended is not working, which I do not doubt, but it is very, very difficult to offer any further useful assistance without specific error messages and/or screen shots of the failures you are encountering.   There are far too many possibilities for anyone to give anything but a SWAG about what may or may not be happening in the absence of adequate information.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:41 AM

Had the same this week on a Win 10 Machine  , Continually  Looping , Shutting Down , Need to Repair , etc etc .

After 4 hrs of trying to make sense of all issues i gave up.

I slaved drive to another PC and saved all Personal Data first.

Then i selected "Advanced Startup"    then   " Startup From A Device USB" 

Inserted USB stick , rebooted and reinstalled Windows .

40 min up and running.

Edited by Havachat, 23 December 2017 - 06:42 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,510 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

Had the same this week on a Win 10 Machine  , Continually  Looping , Shutting Down , Need to Repair , etc etc .

After 4 hrs of trying to make sense of all issues i gave up.

I slaved drive to another PC and saved all Personal Data first.

Then i selected "Advanced Startup"    then   " Startup From A Device USB" 

Inserted USB stick , rebooted and reinstalled Windows .

40 min up and running.

There are some sorts of corruption that eventually get identified as "really not worth the effort of trying to repair" and it sounds like this may be one of them.

There are times when far less effort is required to back up existing user data (if that's not already been done routinely) and reinstall the OS from scratch.  (The preceding applies to other than Windows 10, too).

Although it's a PITA to reinstall a large number of desktop apps (formerly known as programs) and/or store apps and to redo all the customizations you may have had in place it's a lot less frustrating than devoting hours of effort to either the unfixable or to fixing something that you don't have complete confidence that the fix is and will continue to be stable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users