Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating Issues...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rigg3d

rigg3d

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

Hello I have a Dell Inspiron 518 its about 8 years old. I am running windows 10. I started to notice my computer was just freezing out of nowhere. So I ran diagnostics from my bios and it passed everything my memory, CPU, hard drives, motherboard, etc. Mind you this took about almost 48 hours because it was doing extensive hard drive testing.

Anyway I found out my system was overheating, the motherboard and CPU, by running a temp check app (picture below). I found it odd that my computer would freeze in Windows after about 10 to 15 minutes but, when running my diagnostics in the bios it never froze at all.

All my fans are working as they should so I took off the heat sink to my CPU off  and cleaned off the old thermal paste and applied some new paste. Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem.

CPU, both cores were running at around 98 degrees F

Motherboard was at an astounding 182 degrees F

I'm guessing I probably have a shot CPU or Motherboard?

Any Ideas?

Sorry for the sideways picture, not sure why its doing that...

Attached File  20171218_205317.jpg   98.39KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

go into your bios settings and look at temps, a lot of monitor programs don't work with all boards and you get inconsistent readings.   so check in the bios and see what it says.

if your bios doesn't show temps then see if your motherboard manufacturer has monitoring software for your specific board.

#3 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

Is the PSU the original and therefore also eight years old.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

While more used to temperatures in centigrade I can convert !  I think your first mobo temp is a false positive, 183 F is 83C while your second temp, 86F, is a much more reasonable 28C. I find it difficult to believe that two sensors on the one board could correctly report such different temps. This does leave the question 'Does it feel hot ?' either to touch or from the exhaust air.

Also, since it is primarily the CPU that generates heat on a mobo and your cores are running at about 37C (98F) it is difficult to see how your mobo can get hotter than this. I am not doubting for a moment that you are having freezing problems, but I don't think heat is the cause.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 rigg3d

rigg3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

Thank you all for your help and support. Unfortunately, I was in the process of updating my BIOS and  my computer froze up which I half expected. I now believe my board is bricked as it will turn on but now I have no display and there is no post beep. I tried resetting the CMOS to no avail. DAMN!

Edited by rigg3d, 20 December 2017 - 07:00 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:42 AM

Whatever has caused your issues, overheating isn't it based on what you've posted.

Most temperature reporting and specs on computing equipment are reported in degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit, so if you have a utility reporting in F it looks grossly hot when it's really not.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

Sorry to hear that rigg3d  :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users