Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access OS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JeckNeedsHelp

JeckNeedsHelp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

I am unable to access windows 10. It has been working for over a year now. So, the other day I was attempting to dualboot Win 10 and MacOs High Sierra on my AMD computer. (I own a Mac so... it's not piracy)(Processor: 3.5 GHz FX-Series Six-Core FX-6300 Memory Speed:1866 MHz Hard Drive: 1000 GB Mechanical Hard Drive Graphics Coprocessor: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050) I found a guide on how to install a modified version of macOS on my AMD, but the guide was to install, not dualboot. So I made a partition of 20 gigs and attempted to install it to that. The installation stalled about a quarter of the way through. I waited a few hours and then I quit out of it and tried to restart. This is where I hit a wall. The BIOS would no longer boot into my hard drive. It just gives me an error saying DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. In the BIOS settings, it still recognizes that it is connected. I don't have access to the installation disk for I bought this computer prebuilt. After messing around with the BIOS settings, the only change I could muster was BOOT FROM CD/DVD: followed by the previous error. I reset the BIOS settings but the only change in that was loss in keyboard use.I also opened the PC and to reset the CMOS settings by removing the battery and shorting it for 5 seconds. This gave back the use of a keyboard but didn't do anything to help my original problem. Sorry for the novel I wrote but any help is appreciated.~Jack 
P.S. The guide that I followed is attached for reference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

On another Windows computer download and run the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10. This will let you create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. Boot the DVD or flash drive. 

Follow the below guide on doing a startup repair using bootable install media. It may take up to three attempts to complete the repair. 

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html#repairdvd

If a repair does not work you can do a reset with the option to keep your files but all programs would need to be reinstalled.

If reset does not work you can boot a live linux disk, copy your data to an external drive, then reinstall Windows 10 which would require you to reinstall all your programs.

#3 JeckNeedsHelp

JeckNeedsHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:16 PM

On another Windows computer download and run the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10. This will let you create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. Boot the DVD or flash drive. 

Follow the below guide on doing a startup repair using bootable install media. It may take up to three attempts to complete the repair. 

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html#repairdvd

If a repair does not work you can do a reset with the option to keep your files but all programs would need to be reinstalled.

If reset does not work you can boot a live linux disk, copy your data to an external drive, then reinstall Windows 10 which would require you to reinstall all your programs.

I can't even access a recovery mode.  I can't boot from any bootable drive.

Edited by JeckNeedsHelp, 19 December 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:28 PM

You stated you can boot from a DVD, correct? You would create the bootable DVD of Windows 10 on another computer. Boot the install media and select Startup Repair under the Troubleshoot section as shown in the link I posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users