Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - the best way to get a copy, which version for DAW, W10 upgrade, etc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sheilasnuts

Sheilasnuts

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

Hi all

I've been having problems with my WinXP PC and have decided it's time to move into the modern age  Well, modern-ish.... 

As I understand it, until the end of the month it is still possible to get a Windows 10 FREE upgrade (via accessibility), so I need to move quick! My plan is to install W7, get the W10 upgrade, then compare the two. If I decide to roll back stick with W7, at least I'll have a copy of W10 waiting for me in the future. So here's what I'm hoping to find out:

1. Which is the best W7 for a DAW? 
2. What is the best way (and cheapest preferably) of getting W7? Should I be looking at OEM, retail, etc? 
3. Will the OS be tied to my system/HD, and if so is there a way to prevent this? As part of my PC shake up, I'm considering buying an SSD for the OS, but this will need to be done later down the line. I don't want to find out then that the OS is tied to the HD it was first installed on.
4. Will the Win7 version I get determine which Win10 version I can access for free? 

Any help with these questions would be most appreciated, as well as anything else I might have overlooked.

Huge thanks

Max

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

The first thing you need to do is download and run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to determine if the computer is capable of running Windows 7.

If it's capable then you can look for a license on ebay from a seller with at least a 99% rating and the ability to get a refund from Ebay if the license fails.

I doubt you will have a good experience running Windows 10 on an older computer that was installed with XP. Drivers could be problematic even for Windows 7.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

Win 7 can be bought on Ebay quite cheap at this point.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,863 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:32 AM

You may as well post some of your computer specs so we can evaluate whether or not the computer is up to the task of Windows 7 or 10.  Post a Speccy with the link below, it's the second in the list of programs to run by hamluis.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/665784/computer-booting-and-monitor-problem/?p=4402762

If you cannot do that then just post the Model Number, and maybe the CPU, RAM and Hard drive Size.  Some XP Machines will run windows 10, but it's going to be a lot of work to get it.  If you don't mind this kind of work then good.  I don't know if you can just install Windows 7 and get the Upgrade, you may have to accept many Updates first, and that will take hours.

Your other Option is to Install a Free Linux Operating System, which should run well on most XP Machines.  You can ask questions in the Linux Section below.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Sheilasnuts

Sheilasnuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

Hi all

Sorry for the delay in coming back to this... 

I'm thinking of forgetting about Win10 for now...  From what I understand, if I upgrade to Win10 the upgrade will be tied to my PC/motherboard, and I don't think my current specs would be anywhere near ideal.  I've read up on the MOBO, CPU, GPU and soundcard, and all these components get mixed anecdotal reports as to whether they work in Win10 or not.  Even if by some lucky chance I DID get them all to play nicely, I'm guessing that Win10 will be more resource hungry than 7, and will therefore leave less oomph for the audio I want to use the PC for.  (Oh, and btw - I have added my PC details to my profile, so you can see them there). 

I have found workthroughs on the net on how to get the Win10 upgrade (via Accessibility), roll back to Win7, but keep the upgrade open for future reference .  As I understand it, you don't get a license, but rather a digital entitlement.  This is then kept on MS databases and put with the details of your hardware so that when you go to install Win10 in the future it "recognises" you and authorises the installation.  Is that correct, or have I misunderstood something?  Furthermore, if I've got it right, if you try to use the upgrade on a new PC it won't allow you to as your HW will no longer match the HW you had when you made the upgrade.

I guess this might all be moot now as I very much doubt I'll be interested in Win10 on this PC.  And the "license/entitlement" isn't cross transferable anyhow if I have understood correctly.  But still interesting nonetheless.

I have found someone selling a Retail copy of Win7 Pro on Gumtree...  If I can get hold of the license key for this from the seller, would I be able to use that to find out what the status of the license is?  If so, how would I go about it? 

More generally on that note, what has to be done for a Retail copy of Windows to be made available for installation on a new computer?  If a computer breaks down and is not repaired, and the Windows (Retail) installation was never “de-activated”, how can it then be installed on a new computer?

Regarding Linux, it is something I am definitely interested in exploring in the future, but not for now.  I have too much audio hardware and software that would not be compatible, but I am interested in maybe using Linux for the internet and general use when support for Win7 is axed in 2020.  

Thanks for all the help :)

Max

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

I have found workthroughs on the net on how to get the Win10 upgrade (via Accessibility), roll back to Win7, but keep the upgrade open for future reference .  As I understand it, you don't get a license, but rather a digital entitlement.  This is then kept on MS databases and put with the details of your hardware so that when you go to install Win10 in the future it "recognises" you and authorises the installation.  Is that correct, or have I misunderstood something?  Furthermore, if I've got it right, if you try to use the upgrade on a new PC it won't allow you to as your HW will no longer match the HW you had when you made the upgrade.

Correct, the digital license is tied to the hardware ID of the computer. If you upgrade the hardware, i.e. the motherboard, the license will no longer be valid. And, it will not be valid on a new PC.

A retail license of Windows 7 can only be used on one computer at a time but it can be transferred to a new PC by calling Microsoft after a certain number of installs. An OEM license stays with the computer. If the motherboard goes bad you would need to call Microsoft and ask them to activate the license to the new motherboard. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/261053/when-can-you-move-a-windows-license-to-a-new-pc/

I'm not sure how you would determine if a license is valid. I doubt the seller would give you the key before purchase as you could use it to activate a PC with Windows 7. I would stick with a Ebay seller with a very high rating and one where Ebay will refund your money should the license fail.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 December 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

Best deal on Ebay right now!  You will get two disc's one 64 bit and one 32 bit, so no question about what your processor will handle.  Seller rated 100%

https://www.ebay.com/p/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-32-64-Bit-Full-Version-Sp1-Product-Key/748598486?iid=182912887513

Edited by OldPhil, 29 December 2017 - 03:42 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users