Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant log into windows 10.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tabjl

tabjl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Actually doing this for a a close friend. He is pretty isolated and only has his computer to keep him sane. It died recently and ive spent the last 2 months with what little computer expertise helping him get a new graphics card and reinstall windows and everything. We have gotten to the point where everything was working but he was defeated by the fact that he couldn't remember his password. After Searching for too long I was hoping someone on a forum could tell us if there is any possible way to remove, reset and or get past the password with using just he computer, we tried resetting it but it said he has to be logged in as an admin to do that, hes in the US Military so he doesn't have the money to take it in to a local tech.  If anyone here could let me know if there is something we can do that would be so helpful thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

If he's using a Microsoft linked account he can recover (reset, actually) his password on the MS account.

If it's a local account search this forum, as I seem to remember that John_C21 posted a link to a password recovery tool that works strictly for local accounts under Windows 10.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,206 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

If he's using a Microsoft linked account he can recover (reset, actually) his password on the MS account.

If it's a local account search this forum, as I seem to remember that John_C21 posted a link to a password recovery tool that works strictly for local accounts under Windows 10.

It's Lazesoft Recover My Password. You need to run the program on another computer in order to create the bootable media, a CD or USB flash drive. Boot the media and follow the instructions in the below link. As Brian posted, this only works for local accounts.

You can either reset the local password or enable the hidden Administrator Account. 

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-reset-windows-password.html

#4 tabjl

tabjl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Thats the problem. The Guy doesn't have access to another computer, Before he put in the new graphics card we booted it in safe mode and we had the same issue, it logged him in ONCE. Just the one time, he swears he was using the same password, i cant confirm but if we dont have access to another computer so....Are we SoL

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,206 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

So you are trying to help him remotely? You would need to create the bootable media of Lazesoft then mail it to him. 

If this a Microsoft Account Password you can reset it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026971/microsoft-account-how-to-reset-your-password

You should be able to reset it for him if you know his account info.

#6 tabjl

tabjl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

Its a local account. He Didn't even know what i was talking about when i mentioned resetting it with a Microsoft account.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,206 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

If you are doing this remotely it may be easier for you to do it via Teamviewer than over the phone if that is how you are helping.

Note: If you can access a command prompt using the Troubleshooting > Advanced Options section of Windows 10 use the following command to enable the hidden administrator account. Troubleshoot > Advanced Options is available by holding the shift key when rebooting.

See the Getting into Windows Recovery Environment without a disk.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

net user administrator /active:yes

It may give an access denied error in which case you are out of luck and need to mail the reset disk. If successful you can reboot and have access to the Administrator account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users