Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ju Ju

Ju Ju

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

Dear all,

I have a Mesh desktop, three years old, Asus A7V8X mobo, XP Home. I haven't installed any new software or hardware but since about a week ago it refuses to boot up, giving the message...

"We apologise for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start sucessfully. A recent hardware of software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, chose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked"

If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose 'start Windows normally'.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe mode with Command prompt

Last known good configuration (Your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice
Seconds until Windows Starts: 30 "

If I wait 30 seconds, nothing happens. If I choose 'Safe mode with Command prompt' it freezes on this screen: http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Ju...oldmeshprob.jpg

I tried to get into the recovery console via booting from CD and floppy - it begins to install the files but then stalls before reaching the recovery console menu. I tried the hard drive on the secondary IDE channel with a new IDE cable but no change. I tried the hard drive in another desktop and it boots up ok, so I think that means that the problem is not the hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Edited by Ju Ju, 26 September 2006 - 05:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:55 PM

Try last known good configuration.

Looking at the screen shot it looks like it's hanging on a driver, but sometimes it will stop ans sit on that screen for several minutes.

How long did you wait?

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 September 2006 - 05:57 PM.

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

It sounds like its either hanging on a corrupt driver or some other corrupt system file. If you still cannot get into windows after trying Last Known Good Configuration, do a repair install of XP. Hopefully someone can provide that link that has the directions for how to do that, as its quite alot to type out by hand.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:41 AM

How to do a repair install of XP

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#5 Ju Ju

Ju Ju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for replies. I have an XP CD but the problem is that although the problem PC will boot from CD, it stalls before reaching the screen asking 'do you want to install XP / enter the recovery console etc'. When I took out the hard drive and put it into another desktop it did reach this screen ok. But I didn't go any further because I thought that if it works in another desktop this meant that the hard drive is ok. Ie I don't see how doing things to the hard drive (repairing / reinstalling XP etc) is gonna help if the hard drive is not the problem. Please tell me if I am wrong and I can put the problem PC hard drive back in the good PC and run the XP CD.

#6 Ju Ju

Ju Ju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:56 AM

Looking at the screen shot it looks like it's hanging on a driver, but sometimes it will stop ans sit on that screen for several minutes.

How long did you wait?

I waited forever and it doesn't move. Don't know if it is significant but it sticks in the same place every time ie scrolls down for about five seconds then freezes with giveio.sys showing at the the bottom.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:16 AM

Well, it's probably the next driver loading that is causing the problem.

What you can do is if you can get to safe mode or repair console run the system file checker which will replace corrupt or missing system files.

sfc /scannow

I never tried removing the hd and repairing it in another computer, but it's worth a try if you can't get it going in the first computer.
Go to safe mode with command prompt and try the system file checker first (it will prompt you for the cd) and/or if you are familiar with the repair console try that, and finally a repair install if it comes to that.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 September 2006 - 09:21 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:28 AM

giveio.sys seems to be a driver that will allow low-level access to certain I/O devices on the system (for compatibility with older programs).

Have you tried all of the other options on that screen?

Have you tried to reset your CMOS? Unplug the computer from the wall, then remove the CMOS battery (a round shiny thing about the size of a nickle) and leave it out for 30 minutes (about the time it takes to go to the store and get a new one).

Have you tried an antivirus tool that scans from a boot disk? Here's one that I just found (but haven't tried myself): http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/

Have you tried to test the memory using this (or a similar) free utility? : http://www.memtest86.com/ Run the test for at least 2 hours - but overnight is better.

Have you tried to disconnect/remove all but the essential equipment to see if it boots? Once you test the memory (and presuming that it passes), Remove everything from the system with the exception of:

Case
PSU
Mobo
CPU, CPU cooler, CPU cooler fan
vid card
Memory
Keyboard
Monitor
floppy drive

(take out all other cards and disconnect all hard/CD/DVD drives)

Then try to boot with a DOS boot disk. If that works, then add just the hard drive (and a mouse) back into the mix and try to boot into Windows.

If it doesn't boot up using these techniques - then I'd suspect a hardware problem (most likely in the mobo).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users