Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't See / Use Files From Usb Stick In Explorer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dann

Dann

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:16 PM

Everything was working fine - then suddenly happened ... I'm using XP home with all updates up to date, McAfee Internet security suite up to date, ad-aware up to date.
Any ideas please? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Hi Dann, welcome to BC.
Is the drive itself listed in windows explorer but just appears empty?
If so, that usually happens when the "Safely Remove Hardware" function is not used and the drive is just pulled out instead. Anyway, the only option you have is a file recovery program. Give Smart Recovery a try. It's specifcly designed for use on flash drives and is freeware.

Edited by HitSquad, 26 September 2006 - 05:52 PM.

#3 Dann

Dann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:19 PM

Thanks HitSquad

I'll give it a go - however, the same USB drive works OK on my other PC and the same happens when I try to use other USB drives (including my iPod) on different ports on the same desktop - so I was thinking it may be something wrong / missing on this desktop ...

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

If you have two devices that do not work properly on one computer but work properly on another that would lead me to think there was a problem with something in the computer that they aren't working on.

Do you know the date this problem began to occur?

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 September 2006 - 10:05 AM.

#5 Dann

Dann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:35 AM

It happened only a couple of days ago ... I've installed iTunes7 at the same time but reinstalled it since - no difference. It did work briefly yesterday, but same problem is back today.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:17 PM

Do a System Restore using a highlighted date from before the problem began.

start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

You will probably have to reinstall the Itunes and any Windows Updates (there was one yesterday)

Then insert your USB flash drive.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

Try going to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In this window you should be able to view the USB drive and see it's status. Also, while you're in there, check to see if any other devices are using the same drive letter. If that's the case, just change the drive letters and it should become visible.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users