Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fast fan speed & slow boot up time after windows 10 upgradation

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 abcabc

abcabc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Hello! My fan is running non stop on full speed after windows10 upgradation from windows7... 
and my laptop takes a lot of time to start.  (once in use, there is no lag or slowness)

The lapto was serviced just two weeks before the windows upgradation, so fan is working optimally.  

A]
SpeedFan Is showing the following info;

Found ACPI temperature
Found AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series
Found Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Found Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
End of detection   

Temp.. ambient 30c
CPU usage ranged from 2% to 20%   
CPU Fan 4335 RPM  

HP pavillion dv6 with 4GB RAM , 64bit

B]
Right now, the only two tasks running are the speedfan and browser. I have downloaded speedfan just now.  
I have not manipuluated or overclocked anything.   

C]    
I have scanned with malwarebytes and adwcleaner. No problems have been detected yet startup time and 
fan speed problem persist.  

D]   
cleaning up old windows7 folder  and then using glary utilities also didnt help.  

E]   
Other than the softwares mentioned above, I have only installed zonar photostudio and classic shell, so there is not 
much present on the disk other than clean windows 10.   

F]    
Power options-- processor power management -- max processor state 30%

G]   
get notifications --off

I am not a computer technical guy. Is my laptop just too old to handle windows10?    I read somewhere that radeon drivers or some dual divers might be causing the problems but dont know where to check this out.

thankyou

Edited by abcabc, 18 December 2017 - 08:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abcabc

abcabc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:12 AM

I would really appreciate some help guys! Thanks

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

The first thing that strikes me is that you only have 4GB of RAM.  I would suggested adding another 4GB of RAM. 

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 abcabc

abcabc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

The first thing that strikes me is that you only have 4GB of RAM.  I would suggested adding another 4GB of RAM. 

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KAWIByykteAeEMy80H4dnJK   

thankyou so very much, sir!

Edited by abcabc, 20 December 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

I would have updated the BIOS Before the Upgrade, always do this when coming from Windows 7 or 8, or even Upgrading from Creators Update to the Fall Creators Update.

Do you see any Unknown Devices in Device Manager?

Is there more than one Graphics Card Devices in Device Manager?

Considering you are running an HP Laptop, this Thread may help you, because this device is similar to a Laptop.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows/Fan-always-ON-after-W10-Creators-Update/td-p/6085858

Edited by pcpunk, 20 December 2017 - 06:24 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 abcabc

abcabc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

h

I would have updated the BIOS Before the Upgrade.

Do you see any Unknown Devices in Device Manager?

Is there more than one Graphics Card Devices in Device Manager?

hello thankyou!   

I checked the device manager and there are no  yellow question mark icons / unkown icons on any options. I clicked all options/ sub options.    

My hp assistant didnt find a problem so I never thought of bios...

There are, however, more than one Graphics Card Devices in Device Manage    

AMD Radeon HD 7400M series  

Intel r HD Graphics 3000

Edited by abcabc, 20 December 2017 - 07:05 PM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

Sorry I can't be of more help.  I don't want to advise 100% because I have never fixed this myself, just found some answers online that resemble your problem.  There are more answers, but they vary, so I would be patient and see if someone that has fixed this on a similar HP Pavillion dv6 comes along, unless you are comfortable trying some of this stuff on your own.

I would like you to post the Exact Model of the laptop please, that may help others narrow down an answer.  It would be something like "dv6-xxxx"

Intel r HD Graphics 3000

Yes, sorry, I see that in the Speccy Chart.

Just make sure you Back-Up all your files before trying any involved fixes, BIOS Update etc.

Edited by pcpunk, 20 December 2017 - 08:02 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 abcabc

abcabc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:12 PM

Sorry I can't be of more help.  I don't want to advise 100% because I have never fixed this myself, just found some answers online that resemble your problem.  There are more answers, but they vary, so I would be patient and see if someone that has fixed this on a similar HP Pavillion dv6 comes along, unless you are comfortable trying some of this stuff on your own.

I would like you to post the Exact Model of the laptop please, that may help others narrow down an answer.  It would be something like "dv6-xxxx"

Intel r HD Graphics 3000

Yes, sorry, I see that in the Speccy Chart.

Just make sure you Back-Up all your files before trying any involved fixes, BIOS Update etc.

Thankyou!  

HP Pavilion dv6-6120se  AMD Radeon HD 6490M

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

I would have updated the BIOS Before the Upgrade, always do this when coming from Windows 7 or 8, or even Upgrading from Creators Update to the Fall Creators Update.

Unless you have added a piece of hardware which the current BIOS doesn't support or the Manufacturer suggests a BIOS update for a specific computer you shouldn't need to update the BIOS.

Edited to add...  The AMD Radeon HD 7400M is a dedicated GPU, this cancels out the integrated graphics when it is installed.

Edited by dc3, 21 December 2017 - 09:58 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

@abcabc

It never ceases to amaze me the huge number of members who don't think about backing up their important data until it is put in danger or gone.  You should backup all of your important data to removable media.  By removable media I mean a storage ssd/hdd, flash drive, CDs or DVDs, a cloud account, etc.  I keep my more important data on at least two different types of media.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

Unless you have added a piece of hardware which the current BIOS doesn't support or the Manufacturer suggests a BIOS update for a specific computer you shouldn't need to update the BIOS.

Edited to add...  The AMD Radeon HD 7400M is a dedicated GPU, this cancels out the integrated graphics when it is installed.

dc3, I've had, and seen many people on the net that HAD to update the BIOS to get windows 10 to install properly, not always for sure, but I do it every time now to avoid causing me problems and time.  So it's not just "Hardware" In My Opinion, it's also software, as in Windows 10.  One here at the HP Forums had success with this, but I have never done it this way, only before Upgrade or new Clean Install.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows/Fan-always-ON-after-W10-Creators-Update/td-p/6085858

As I said, there are some things that can be tried but that's all, no guarantees from me.  A clean Install is always best, but for sure can be a big pain for most.  The smart approach as dc3 said, and all who advise well, is to backup everything and then proceed with caution.  And the Media Creation Tool, to make your media if you want Windows 10 back.

1. One person took out their CMOS and put it back in and that fixed it.  

First Pull the battery, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.  Then you would have to get to the CMOS Battery with the help of the OEM's Service Manual at their site to remove it.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

2. One person Re-Installed the Graphics driver with the Originals from the OEM's site.  So one could check to see if they are indeed different first.

3. Another person found Two AMD Graphics Card Devices, Deleted the Later Version and that fixed it also.

That's all I got guys, if help is needed I'll be watching.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

I can't agree with you regarding updating the BIOS.  So I will agree to disagree with you.  In all the installations I've made over the years I've never experienced problems which required updating the BIOS.  You must just be special.

#13 abcabc

abcabc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

@abcabc

It never ceases to amaze me the huge number of members who don't think about backing up their important data until it is put in danger or gone.  You should backup all of your important data to removable media.  By removable media I mean a storage ssd/hdd, flash drive, CDs or DVDs, a cloud account, etc.  I keep my more important data on at least two different types of media.

yes, sir. I took out all my data before doing the windows10 update. So is it just low RAM , needs a clean windows 10 reinstall (and using my existing windows10key that I got via updating windows7)  or should I buy a new laptop?  

By using malwarebytes, glary/tuneup utilities , an antiviris .... and occassionally hitmanpro / adwcleaner etc I never had problems with this laptop since 2011. Now a 5 minutes bootup time without any apparent problem being detected by these above mentioned softwares is troublesome..  

Thankyou

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

You don't need a Key, just use the Media Creation Tool to make Install Media, arrrgggg.  MS has logged the Key on their Servers, so all that is needed is for you to reinstall.  If it were me, I would try the advise at the first Link I provided for you.  You may avoid a full Reinstall by doing so.  If you have all your info backed up what do you have to lose?

But, I have had this same problem with Slow Startup also! and have not found any good fixes other than a Clean Install, though you may try the Non Destructive Install to keep all your files intact, this may or may not fix the slow startup and Fan problem, I can't say for sure.  I prefer a Clean Install over something I have not tried.  I will need to try the Non Destructive Install soon.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

I can't agree with you regarding updating the BIOS.  So I will agree to disagree with you.  In all the installations I've made over the years I've never experienced problems which required updating the BIOS.  You must just be special.

Okay, good to know, but don't know about your "You must be special" comment?

I've posted one success doing just this at the start of this thread, and have read many more on the subject, I'll leave it at that and let you take over.

"Not until I did a BIOS update did the 4th attempt to update to Win10 work."

http://www.pcgamer.com/get-your-motherboard-ready-for-windows-10/

And many more

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users