Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a Mac (Hackintosh) in 2018

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iKokomo

iKokomo

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

I have mainly used multiple Mac computer for the past 12 years most of my work (video and photos). I love the power new iMac Pro, but it is incredibly expensive so I am looking at building my own. I have successfully built 4 gaming Windows computers in the past 10 years so I know how to do that. 

I know that building a Mac is harder to do! 

Researching, I see a ton of different tutorials out there, so I was wondering what the best or your favorite ones. 

I mainly need it for Raw 1080p or 4K videos. So it has to be powerful, but not too crazy! 

Thanks for your help!!

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2017 - 05:31 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

Hackentosh is not normally encouraged in a lot of places.

I would just make another windows PC and if you wish to use another OS there is always linux.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

If you're just looking for raw power and don't need the specific applications that a Mac uses, I would go with Madman's recommendation and just build yourself a Windows PC.

If you need Apple specific productivity tools or applications, I'm afraid Madman is still correct - Hackintosh isn't encouraged and you would be better suited to just buying the new iMac.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

I fully agree with what has been said before, if you don't need Mac specific software, you would most likely be better off with a Windows PC.  If Windows bores you, try a Linux PC.  If you want to try a hackintosh, Tonymacx86 is very useful.  That site provides build guides and other information on how to do it.

3939.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:32 AM

When I got my Gigabyte board there was a great article on using it for a Hackentosh, it comes with Fire Wire and at the time was a preferred board for thr build.  I will see if I can find the article.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:36 AM

You probably found this stuff already!

https://www.tonymacx86.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=building+a+Hackentosh&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users