Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie to VM - question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldishgal

oldishgal

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

I currently have desktop with Windows 7 that was pre-installed 64 bit with 4 GB RAM

I have been sitting on the fence to upgrade to Windows 10 for fear that some older programs that are a must will not function properly and I don't want to lose Word/Excel and other stuff that I've read might disappear with W10. 

I am very happy with Windows 7 but it will be unsupported soon.

So my question is:  

If I download W10 Media Creation Tool and create an ISO would I be able to set up W10 running on VM to test things out? 

I am not real computer tecky but would be willing to "attempt" creating a VM.

Any hazards to doing this that I should be aware of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

You should be able to do this but your biggest problem is the amount of RAM you have. Effectively what you will have is Win 10 running inside VMWare - or whatever VM you decide to try - which is an application running inside Win 7, and at the bottom you have Win 7 running. What this means is that Win 10 should run in the VM but it will not run terribly well.

If you are just wanting to try Win 10 this is quite a good way to do it but be aware that if you don't authenticate it it will start locking up after 30 days.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 oldishgal

oldishgal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:09 PM

Thank you Chris for replying.  Initially I just want to try Win 10 and see if all my programs work with it.  From what I've seen and read about Win 10, I'm not impressed.  I was wondering about licensing/product key and whether I could use Win 7 and Win 10 upgrade under same product key on same desktop.  Is that allowed do you know?  I assume that's what you meant by authenticate. 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

I am open to correction on this but I believe that you can run a Windows OS for up to 30 days without authenticating it, after that MS start popping up messages and I understand that your desktop gets a black background and various funtions stop performing normally. If you want to keep on using Win 10 after 30 days, even in a VM, you need to authenticate it - ie get a license key.

If I am wrong about the 30 days - somebody please tell me !

Now that you have it installed (1) how is it working in your VM, and (2) how do you like it ?

Chris Cosgrove

#5 oldishgal

oldishgal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

Windows 10 running fine on the VM but getting nagged and cant do much without activating. 

As to the style of Windows 10 - I HATE IT!!! Can't find where anything is!! 

Got my program installed that I was concerned about but haven't been able to figure out how to import my data. Copy and paste wouldn't work.

Not sure if this old gal has the patience to "learn new tricks".

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

Well, I am glad that you got it all running but I am not surprised that you are finding the user interface 'confusing'. some people love it, some hate it and most live with it. I don't use 10 myself but I undertand that the user interface is very 'customisable'.

Since you have it running, even in a VM, if you are having problems doing something with Win 10 I suggest you start a topic in the Win 10 section of BC.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

If you're trying to copy and paste from your Windows 7 PC to your Windows 10 VM, you're not going to be able to do so, since they don't share a clipboard. If you need to share data between the host and the VM, you'll need to set up a Shared Folder. You can do so by following the steps outlined in Chapter 4 of the documentation.

It is worth noting that if you don't have the guest additions installed as part of your VirtualBox installation, you will need to install those as well, with the respective documentation found here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users