Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drives Not Seen Explorer Or My Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aldago

aldago

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:57 PM

I'm using WinXP SP2. I did a non-destructive reinstall and everything works fine except that I can't see my flash drives anywhere (My Computer, Windows Explorer...) although were working fine before the reinstall. I can see the flash drives (different brands) in "Computer Management" and I see that there is no drive letter assigned. I can assign a drive letter and then open the drive and view the files while in "Computer Management" but can't see the drive aywhere else. When I reboot, the drive letter assigned goes away. I have no mapped network drives and the A, C and D (dvd ) drives are present and accounted for. I'm assigning the next drive letter, E, and have even assign higher letters to no avail.
Can't use the drives if I can't see them. Anybody have any ideas?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

Check your USB devices in the device manager.

If any have a yellow or red warning icon reinstall them.
Windows supports USB drivers so you can get current drivers from Windows Update.

#3 aldago

aldago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

No yellow markers. Hub properties says the "device is working properly". I've tried uninstalling and letting Windows find and reinstall the drivers. Everything seems to work as it should. The devices are detected and can be removed by utilizing the "safely remove hardware" icon in the systems bar. The devices can be seen and utilized (cut, paste, etc.) in "Computer Management/Disk management" only. They just don't show up in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:48 AM

To detect new disks
Using the Windows interface

Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Device Manager.
Where?

Computer Management
System Tools
Device Manager

On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

On the Action menu, click Rescan Disks.
Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
If Disk Management does not detect the new disk after you click Rescan Disks, you might need to restart your computer. New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must first initialize it. For instructions describing how to initialize a disk, click Related Topics. If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard appears so you can initialize the disk.
You can convert new disks to dynamic disks.
Using a command line

Open Command Prompt.
Type:
diskpart

At the DISKPART prompt, type:
rescan

rescan Locates new disks that may have been added to the computer.

To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure.

When DiskPart rescans disks, it scans all attached disks for disk configuration changes. It also updates information on removable media, CD-ROM drives, basic volumes, file systems, and drive letters.
Rescanning disks can take several minutes, depending on the number of hardware devices installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users