Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shhh! Google Links To Libraries

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:27 PM

The old library card catalogue took a step further into cyberspace Tuesday, with Google and the libraries of four universities and the city of New York announcing a partnership with the potential to make millions of books available and searchable online. ATLANTA (CNN) December 14, 2004: 1:03 PM EST The University of Michigan and Stanford -- alma mater of the search engine giant's co-founders, Larry Page and Sergey Brin -- are the only libraries to agree to have all of their contents scanned and uploaded to Google's vast cyber-library, but more seem certain to follow. "Even before we started Google, we dreamed of making the incredible breadth of information that librarians so lovingly organize searchable online," said Page, who is president of Google Products. Sources at Google (up $4.33 to $174.78, Research) said the book scanner used in the process was developed in-house and is not commercially available. While Google would give no further comments on the equipment, a statement from Harvard said evaluators at the university thought Google's scanning process "is much gentler with books than other high-speed processes in use today."
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:42 PM

ok, no capital letters you guys...and you two in the corner. hush or i'll type an exclamation mark.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:10 PM

Sounds neat Go Google!

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:32 PM

Hmm, sharing copywrited material? I thought that was a no-no.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:40 PM

ok, no capital letters you guys...and you two in the corner.  hush or i'll type an exclamation mark.

:flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

Hmm, sharing copywrited material? I thought that was a no-no

That's what I was thinking. How are they getting around that? I wonder....
Posted Image

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:42 PM

Hmm, sharing copywrited material? I thought that was a no-no

Copyright laws are kinda funny, huh? The basis for all of 'em is that no one should profit by the intellectual rights infringement of the artist(s) who originate the work.
From that basis is spawned the plethoria of interpretations that run rampant. Is google selling the shared work? Are they profiting by using the shared work? Who is?

Generally the answers lead to the bank accounts of lawyers who interpret the laws made by polititians, re-interpreted by judges and enforced by police who in turn employ the criminal justice system of prisons. Its a big business. Media gets a tidy chunk o' change off of it, too. Well, so much for Beethoven's daughter & Robert Johnson's family.
Nothing's perfect. Printing, recording & computers. hmmm.

I might be wrong about that. :thumbsup:

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:43 PM

Follow up Article

Dec 14, 7:48 PM (ET) By MAY WONG

Google Move Could Commercialize Libraries

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - The Internet company that famously promised to "do no evil" is on a new mission to digitize the collections of some of the nation's leading research institutions and establish a massive online reading room.

But Google Inc.'s ambitious effort could herald the beginning of the commercialization of libraries, which have long been trusted as an independent resource for books and knowledge without the obvious trappings of marketing or goals of profit.

For the sake of wider public access, librarians and archivists are grateful and excited about Google's underwriting of the otherwise cost-prohibitive effort to scan millions of books and research materials.

Yet they also know that Google, the world's leading Internet search engine, relies on revenues from advertisements that are often related to the search topic at hand.

COMPLETE ARTICLE
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:31 AM

By MAY WONG

like I said

I may b wong about that.

:thumbsup:

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:45 AM

From what I have read, Google will scan only items not copywrited, or for which the copywrite has expired. Even without anything "modern" the vast number of more or less rare books that will be made available should be a huge boon to students and scholars not having, for example, access to Oxford's fine collection.
Regards,
John

Postscript: here is what Harvard Library says (quote):

In the coming months, staff from Google will collaborate with Harvard's libraries on a pilot project to digitize about 40,000 of the 15 million volumes held in the University's extensive library system. Google will provide online access to the full text of those works that are in the public domain. In related agreements, Google will launch similar projects with Oxford, Stanford, the University of Michigan, and the New York Public Library.
Google will be scanning books that are in as well as out of copyright from the Harvard collections. Harvard-owned books in the public domain will be available in the search results. Google may choose to display descriptive catalog information for books that are still under copyright. We believe that Google's treatment of in-copyright works is consistent with copyright law.

For the full text of the FAQs quoted directly above, refer to:

http://hul.harvard.edu/publications/041213faq.html

Edited by jgweed, 15 December 2004 - 12:09 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

I thought they were giving full credit? Linking to them right?

#11 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:45 PM

If they start with things that are no longer protected by copyright laws that alone will be a great thing. Also the expense will drop exponentially when they complete the first library because of duplications. Then they can just keep adding newer materials as the copyrights expire. Super! Woops my apologies about the exclamation point but this is just so great.

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:23 PM

I guess I read it wrong sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users