Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp envy m6 broken hinges

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

Guys, this unit is in bad shape and only option I think is to junk it. I would like to know however why the laptop still shows perfect video on the screen even though the black and white wires [shown on the right shown by the red arrow in the pic below] has been severed?

https://s7.postimg.org/4lc11gaqj/envy.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:17 PM

Just would hazard a guess those could be your Wifi antenna wires.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

Ok, what if I were to cut the other main thick black wire on the left, that will definitely cut all video off from the screen but my question would be, would an external monitor connected the SVGA port still work?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

Ok, what if I were to cut the other main thick black wire on the left, that will definitely cut all video off from the screen but my question would be, would an external monitor connected the SVGA port still work?

You mean after cutting the wire? I can't guarantee it but I had a very old laptop where I completely removed the LCD screen and hooked it up to an external monitor which did work. The big problem is when hooked up to an external monitor you will never get into your BIOS settings because the external becomes active after the BIOS. So, if you plan on changing any BIOS settings, do it before removing the screen. You can confirm it by using an external and seeing if you can access BIOS before cutting the wire if that is what you intend to do.

Your computer's support site would have the service manual. Take a look at it.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:44 PM

With external monitor connected both that and the screen works but using the bios key only the screen shows the bios, not the external monitor.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

That's what I figured. If you cut the laptop LCD screen you will never be able to access your BIOS settings.

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:22 PM

Cool thx!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users